SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PubMed: Evaluation of PacBio sequencing for full-length bacterial 16S rRNA gene class Newsbot! Literature Watch 0 11-16-2016 03:00 AM
Does the full length sequencing using Iso-Seq get the real full length ? huan Pacific Biosciences 5 12-22-2015 11:28 PM
Extracting a full length gene from illumina reads? lordjonwald De novo discovery 0 10-27-2014 08:01 AM

Old 09-04-2017, 07:34 AM   #1
lvogel

Question Assembling mini barcodes into full-length gene

Hi,
I have metabarcoding reads from an Illumina MiSeq run. I usually use a primer set which amplifies a certain fragment of COI. Now, however, we have used three different primer sets which produce overlapping fragments. My question is, is it possible to first merge the paired ends from each primer, and then assemble the fragments together, and then continue with the usual metabarcoding pipeline? I find much information online about merging paired-ends, but not about incorporating longer contigs. I'm a grad student, instructed to investigate this, and I wanted to ask around here first, before I waste a lot of time trying to do this if my efforts are misguided. Thanks.
lvogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 10:59 AM   #2
GenoMax

Provided your primers have covered the gene fully you could assemble the reads (after merging the pairs post demultiplexing/removal of barcodes).

Should be easy enough to test. Use bbmerge.sh (for merging the reads) and tadpole.sh/seal.sh to assemble the data. Using bbduk.sh (for trimming) would be optional in case you have adapter contamination in your data. All tools part of BBMap suite. They all have individual threads.
GenoMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 12:57 AM   #3
lvogel

Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks for the reply. Sounds good. I'll give it a try, and post again if I have problems.
Old 09-12-2017, 07:38 AM   #4
lvogel

Dear GenoMax (or anyone),
Is there a reason why assembly should be done at the step where you said (after PE merging and removal of primers/tags), as opposed to waiting until the end, when we have already clustered the reads into OTUs (98% similarity), and assembling those? There's been a discussion about this in my lab, and I feel that the way you suggested is correct, but I don't know of any concrete justification as to why.
Thanks for all your assistance.
Old 09-12-2017, 07:45 AM   #5
GenoMax

I assume your minibarcodes are tagging species specific primers that allow you to bin the reads first. So once you bin the three products for each species you would trim the barcodes/merge the reads and then assemble the full gene. Is that interpretation correct?
Old 09-12-2017, 07:54 AM   #6
lvogel

Our primers aren't species-specific. We use the same 3 primer sets for all of the mixed samples of insects. We don't know what the species are likely to be until BLASTing at the end.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:00 AM   #7
GenoMax

Not what I was imagining then. If the tags/extraneous sequence present is not interfering with your OTU assignments then you could do the trimming/assembly later.

Are you at least merging the reads first to get the longest possible representation before going on with the analysis?
Old 09-12-2017, 11:37 AM   #8
lvogel

OK, thanks. I merge the paired-ends as a first step, yes, if that's what you mean.

Tags
assembly, metabarcoding, miseq