SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
using NGS, what is the best miRNA expression normalization method? Giorgio C Bioinformatics 4 12-07-2011 06:32 AM
GPU/Cluster/Server based systems for NGS PratikC Bioinformatics 17 09-15-2011 02:40 AM
Annotation tools for NGS data groody Vendor Forum 3 01-26-2011 10:24 PM
Assembly files in new Assemblers Tools for NGS. aloliveira Bioinformatics 2 10-22-2010 04:27 AM
A SNP discovery method to assess variant allele probability from NGS NGSfan Literature Watch 0 01-11-2010 03:48 AM

Old 02-13-2012, 02:43 PM   #1
greener

Default Best deployment method of NGS tools on a cluster?

Howdy everyone,
We are building a small rocks cluster (4-5 nodes to start) and I am hoping to configure it to perform some denovo tools (abyss and trinity) but also to be able to run the tuxedo suite(bowtie, tophay, cufflinks). The question I have is there any way to deploy bowtie runs across machines (using something like SGE or PBS)? It seems like using myrna or crossbow would require making the cluster a hadoop cluster correct? Switching to Hadoop seems interchangeable and I'm not sure about having a hadoop cluster if we decide we want run other applications on it. Any advice folks have is muchly appreciated. Thanks!!
-Rich
greener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:26 AM   #2
GenoMax

Rich: We have been using SGE with rocks for some time. But PBS should work as well.

I also wanted to put a plug in for "modules" project. It makes management of multiple software versions/environment a breeze. It works well with Rocks http://modules.sourceforge.net/
GenoMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:35 AM   #3
greener

awesome , so you are using SGE with Bowtie? what tools are using with it?
greener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:39 AM   #4
rskr

Quote:
Originally Posted by greener View Post
Switching to Hadoop seems interchangeable and I'm not sure about having a hadoop cluster if we decide we want run other applications on it. Any advice folks have is muchly appreciated. Thanks!!
-Rich
From what I have seen hadoop doesn't play well with other types of apps, and most informatics apps don't really need the hadoop functionality. Though at a super high level meeting of business managers and non-computational-biologists, you might be able to sell hadoop as a easy and simple way to do high throughput computing in a map reduce framework using general purpose hardware and cheap java labor
rskr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:15 AM   #5
GenoMax

SGE is the default queuing system on our rocks cluster. We run all jobs through SGE. Primary (CASAVA, PacBio SMRTanalysis) and secondary data analysis.

BioTeam has info on using SGE. This link should get you started: http://bioteam.net/2009/09/sge-training-slides/

Quote:
Originally Posted by greener View Post
awesome , so you are using SGE with Bowtie? what tools are using with it?
GenoMax is offline   Reply With Quote