No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't use my SAM files for cuffdiff

Hi everyone,

I am running a cuffdiff with GTF files from cuffmerge and SAM files from my mapped reads (CLC Bio). However, I've got error notification that my SAM files are not aligned. I searched through the web and found this:

Do Cufflinks and Cuffdiff support both BAM and SAM?

Yes. If a SAM is supplied, a message will be output that the file is not a valid BAM file. However, Cufflinks will recognize this and treat the file as a SAM. When using a SAM file, you should include a proper header or ensure that the reads are lexicographically by chromosome and then numerically by left position. You can accomplish this sorting with the command sort -k3,3 -k4,4n in.sam > out.sam.

As I am running from Galaxy website and not using the LINUX setting, what should I do to keep my analysis going using cuffdiff. Thanks.

Jasmine

Are your SAM files "sorted" by coordinates ?

Comment

SAM files are far larger than .bam files, you are going to want to compress them for the long term, so since you are having problems with them now, you should probably just compress them already.

Comment

@yueluo May I know how can I do that? Does that means that I assigned coordinates to each mapped sample (different conditions) so that cuffmerge can recognise it? Which tool can I use in Galaxy?

Hope to get reply from you soon. I am really foreign to bioinformatics tools. Thanks guys =)

Comment

What did your error message look like?
          Here is a quote from cufflinks on how to sort the sam file:
          The SAM file supplied to Cufflinks must be sorted by reference position. If you aligned your reads with TopHat, your alignments will be properly sorted already. If you used another tool, you may want to make sure they are properly sorted as follows:

sort -k 3,3 -k 4,4n hits.sam > hits.sam.sorted

Comment

@yueluo Thanks. I do realise it now that it will be easier for me to align my reads using Tophat instead of CLC Bio. The problem is because I am using cufflink thru Galaxy website and I am unsure how to key in the command stated above. If I am not wrong, the command stated above is only LINUX based right?

Thanks for your help =)

Comment

@yueluo By the way, are you a frequent user of galaxy?

Comment

@jasminegirl
                Sorry,no... I have access to local clusters/servers.

Comment

@yueluo Oh i see. But thanks anyway for your help. I will update you on my progress. Thanks.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                  • seqadmin
                    Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                    by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                    Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                    03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post seqadmin  
                  Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
                  0 responses