No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• introns as a subset of mRNAs

Hi all
    can we have introns as a subset of mRNAs. pls let me know.
    in yeast genome, if found that a few mRNAs has intronic regions too. how can this be
    Sr. Application Scientist, Apsara Innovations, Bangalore
    E-Mail: [email protected]

It could be DNA contamination, unspliced RNAs, retained introns, another transcript, etc. It's a common event with RNA-Seq data.

Comment

is it that before we proceed for analysis, we need to remove all such regions

Comment

Let's call them "intronic unspliced reads" : IURs. ... and ... yes ... they do happen to varying amounts depending (I think) on preparation.

Let's ask a couple of questions ...
        What analysis are you going to do? Count coverage for exons? Find SNPS?
        Are you going to define IURs as "only hits intron" or "partially hits intron"?

You don't know if a read that hits an exon only is also immature so you can't filter them (unless somehow you can associate the read with its pair which hits an IUR).

If the IURs happen evenly throughout the transcribing regions genome and occur in relative proportion to the occurance of mature transcript, you might not filter them.
        Sadly, it's probably that maturation is taking place at differing rates depending on the gene [ just a guess, I don't know for sure].

hmmmm ... Why not try both methods (filtering and not filtering) and see of it affects the results.
        Last edited by Richard Finney; 07-27-2012, 05:47 AM.

Comment

I am an application scientist working for apsara innovations currently working on pipeline pilot NGS collection
          i have an yeast repository in which the complete genome is downloaded along with its features. I queried these features for mRNA query and then had a subquery to extract all the records which had intron as its feature in the mRNA sequence. The output is i got around 120 sequences that had introns in mRNA sequence. what do i understand by this

Comment

User pbluescript summarized it well : It could be DNA contamination, unspliced RNAs, retained introns, another transcript, etc. It's a common event with RNA-Seq data..

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
              by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
              04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
            • seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
            0 responses