SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Applications Forums > Sample Prep / Library Generation

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Very low efficiency adapter ligation with amplicons and PCR free Kurt Lamour Illumina/Solexa 15 10-02-2015 09:18 AM
NEBNext Adapter Ligation Efficiency mbk0asis Sample Prep / Library Generation 6 07-18-2015 07:47 AM
efficiency of end repair, A-tailing and adaptor ligation ychang Sample Prep / Library Generation 0 05-19-2014 02:48 PM

Old 02-25-2016, 01:31 PM   #1
jlove

Default Assay to test for ligation efficiency?

Hi,
Has anyone got a method for assessing TruSeq ligation efficiency, pre-PCR? We use the KAPA Illumina library quant kit for final library quantification, and I can certainly try using this, but I am wondering if anyone knows about actually using the results to assess the efficiency? I'm not sure how to evaluate the results to determine next steps.
Thanks in advance!
jlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:48 AM   #2
jdk787
josh kinman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlove View Post
Hi,
Has anyone got a method for assessing TruSeq ligation efficiency, pre-PCR? We use the KAPA Illumina library quant kit for final library quantification, and I can certainly try using this, but I am wondering if anyone knows about actually using the results to assess the efficiency? I'm not sure how to evaluate the results to determine next steps.
Thanks in advance!
You could try ligating, then quantifying your sample with Qubit to determine the total amount of DNA present.
Then quantify the same sample with the KAPA quantification kit which will only measure the amount of ligated material in your sample.
Ligation efficiency can then be determined by comparing the Qubit number to the Kapa number.
jdk787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 11:03 AM   #3
HESmith

Be aware that the KAPA assay will detect adapter dimers as well as bona fide library clones. While dimers are the product of ligation, I suspect that's not what you want to measure :-).

The TruSeq kit contains inline controls for the enzymatic steps, including ligation, so you may want to incorporate those into your protocol.
HESmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 11:16 PM   #4
RNA_

If your lab is licensed for radioactive work, prepare a test library in parallel using trace amounts of 32P-labeled substrate spiked into your sample --> run on PAGE with appropriate radiolabeled size markers --> phosphorimaging.
RNA_ is offline   Reply With Quote