No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ion Torrent Platform Differences

Hello all,

New to the forum and to the Ion Torrent platform.

From reading the literature I have noticed various different Ion Torrent sequencing machines being mentioned, but I am having a hard time understanding all the differences between them, other than throughput and chip types.

If anybody would be kind enough to explain the pros and cons of all the different machines over the years (e.g. PGM vs S5 vs S5 XL vs Genexus vs Ion Proton vs others), or could re-direct me to any papers or other sources, I would be infinitely thankful.

I look forward to becoming a part of this forum.

Hi Pinecone,

The Ion PGM (0.5-5.5M reads) and Ion Proton (60-80M reads) were the first instruments released by Ion Torrent. These have been discontinued this summer (continued support until 2025). With the Ion S5 and S5XL, instrument operation was made easier because of automation of the initialization and cleaning steps. This saved a lot of hands-on time compared with the PGM and Proton. The difference between S5 and S5XL relates to the computing power. The S5XL comes with an external server for data analysis while the S5 uses the on-board computing power. In 2018, the Ion S5 was upgraded with the release of the Ion Genestudio, Ion Genestudio Plus and Ion Genestudio Prime (2-130M reads). The Ion Genestudio S5 and Genestudio S5 Plus use on-board data analysis while the Genestudio Prime comes with an external server for faster data analysis. The Genestudio Plus has more computing power as compared to the Genestudio. More details here. All of the aforementioned instruments work alongside the Ion Chef, an instrument that is used for automated templating of libraries onto Ion Sphere Particles. The Ion Chef can also be used for automated library preparation. In 2019, Ion Torrent released the Genexus (15M reads / lane, 4 lanes on a chip). This system automates all steps from DNA sample to analysis report, further reducing hands-on time. It also reduced the overall time from DNA to analysis to a single day. More details here.

Hope this helps!

Comment

I would have pointed you to http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62920 but I think it's better to look towards the future (not sure if PGM is still being sold) and you really should just concern yourself with comparing GeneStudio and Genexus of which you can check out their product website.

The reason why they 'look similar' on the chip throughput is because the underlying design is still the same core but the GeneStudio is latest iteration.

Genexus is a game changer though promising next day reporting and flexibility to run 1/4 of the chip or lane as they call it.

You will probably get a more in-depth explanation if u leave your contact for a sales rep to contact you ...
      http://kevin-gattaca.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by KevinLam View Post
        I would have pointed you to http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62920 but I think it's better to look towards the future (not sure if PGM is still being sold) and you really should just concern yourself with comparing GeneStudio and Genexus of which you can check out their product website.

The reason why they 'look similar' on the chip throughput is because the underlying design is still the same core but the GeneStudio is latest iteration.

Genexus is a game changer though promising next day reporting and flexibility to run 1/4 of the chip or lane as they call it.

You will probably get a more in-depth explanation if u leave your contact for a sales rep to contact you ...
        Hello Kevin,

Many thanks for your helpful input.
        I had checked the thread you mention, but I didn't think it would be entirely up to date (last post in 2015).

But you have answered my question with what you've written.
        Will get in touch with a sales rep for more details.
        Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by Bastiaan View Post
          Hi Pinecone,

The Ion PGM (0.5-5.5M reads) and Ion Proton (60-80M reads) were the first instruments released by Ion Torrent. These have been discontinued this summer (continued support until 2025). With the Ion S5 and S5XL, instrument operation was made easier because of automation of the initialization and cleaning steps. This saved a lot of hands-on time compared with the PGM and Proton. The difference between S5 and S5XL relates to the computing power. The S5XL comes with an external server for data analysis while the S5 uses the on-board computing power. In 2018, the Ion S5 was upgraded with the release of the Ion Genestudio, Ion Genestudio Plus and Ion Genestudio Prime (2-130M reads). The Ion Genestudio S5 and Genestudio S5 Plus use on-board data analysis while the Genestudio Prime comes with an external server for faster data analysis. The Genestudio Plus has more computing power as compared to the Genestudio. More details here. All of the aforementioned instruments work alongside the Ion Chef, an instrument that is used for automated templating of libraries onto Ion Sphere Particles. The Ion Chef can also be used for automated library preparation. In 2019, Ion Torrent released the Genexus (15M reads / lane, 4 lanes on a chip). This system automates all steps from DNA sample to analysis report, further reducing hands-on time. It also reduced the overall time from DNA to analysis to a single day. More details here.

Hope this helps!
          Hi Bastiaan,

Thank you for very kindly taking the time to explain the timeline and advances in the technology. Very helpful!

Comment

Hi, it is possible that the ion chef could contaminate other experiments in a quant study. the two machines are in the same room

can you help me
            Last edited by Marcela Astete; 01-16-2021, 11:57 AM.

Comment

Oi Marcela!
              I suppose the quantstudio plates are brought in the post-PCR room already sealed, right? Then the Ion Chef shouldn't be contaminating them.
              On the other side, if somebody is preparing NGS libraries in a pre-PCR room, then it is possible that the libraries could be contaminating the plates, I suppose...

Comment

Thank you very much for answering.
                The QuantStudio plates are brought in the post-PCR room already sealed. In this same post-pcr room, where the QuantStudio are located, the libraries are made with the ion chef. We believe that amplicons are formed the moment the library is finished and we open the ion chef. It is possible that this thought is correct, added to the bad laboratory practices of some people who do not use protection and who supposedly transport the amplicons to other rooms.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                  by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                  04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                • seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                0 responses