No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cancer Genomics using Illumina GA

Hi All

We recently have run cancer samples on Illumina. As this is our first such run, I wanted to know the tools out there to process/analyze the cancer NGS data.

We want to compare the data from the cancerous and non-cancerous cell lines and also would be nice to show some differences in genotype and/or expression levels.

Any paper/software that you could point me to will help.

Thanks,
    -Abhi

Originally posted by apratap View Post
    Hi All

We recently have run cancer samples on Illumina. As this is our first such run, I wanted to know the tools out there to process/analyze the cancer NGS data.

We want to compare the data from the cancerous and non-cancerous cell lines and also would be nice to show some differences in genotype and/or expression levels.

Any paper/software that you could point me to will help.

Thanks,
    -Abhi
    We have done the same thing in our lab (tumor/normal whole-genome resequencing). A list of NGS software can be found in this post. We use BFAST to align the reads to the human reference (admittedly I am the author). We convert the alignments to the SAM format, and use the built in SAMtools for variant calling (SNPs and indels within the reads) or pileup (for coverage counting). For structural variation (inversions, large-scale inter-chromosomal/intra-chromosomal translocations, large insertions and deletions) we have our own in-house tools. Hope this helps!

Comment

Thanks for a quick revert. It is nice to know about BFAST. I will do some testing and see how it works. I have heard about the SAM format and SAMTools but have not used them till now. Guess it is time I try them. Also just wondering if there are are tools/scripts to convert the Eland (export) format to SAM format. It is one of the obvious alignment software we use.

Thanks,
      -Abhi

Comment

I forgot to ask but I was not able to find a lot on Structural Variation. May be it is under active development. Any specific tools or papers any one would like to recommend ??

Thanks,
        -Abhi

Comment

Originally posted by apratap View Post
          I forgot to ask but I was not able to find a lot on Structural Variation. May be it is under active development. Any specific tools or papers any one would like to recommend ??

Thanks,
          -Abhi
          There should be an eland2sam tool out there (either in the samtools "misc" directory, or ask Illumina). If you have a bioinformatician handy, I am sure they can make one pretty easily.

As for papers, I would look at the "whole-genome resequencing" papers (not a complete list):
          • SEQUENCE AND STRUCTURAL VARIATION IN A HUMAN GENOME UNCOVERED BY SHORT-READ, MASSIVELY PARALLEL LIGATION SEQUENCING USING TWO BASE ENCODING
          • Accurate whole human genome sequencing using reversible terminator chemistry
          • DNA sequencing of a cytogenetically normal acute myeloid leukaemia genome
          • The diploid genome sequence of an Asian individual
          • The first Korean genome sequence and analysis: Full genome sequencing for a socio-ethnic group
          • "The cancer genome" (nature review)
          • "Venter genome paper"
          • "Watson" genome paper

For structural variation, there are some tools [not complete]:
          • PEMer: a computational framework with simulation-based error models for inferring genomic structural variants from massive paired-end sequencing data
          • Transcriptome sequencing to detect gene fusions in cancer
          • Next-generation DNA sequencing of paired-end tags (PET) for transcriptome and genome analyses
          • Pindel: a pattern growth approach to detect break points of large
            deletions and medium sized insertions from paired-end short
            reads

I hope I don't offend anyone left out above.

So I have done a bit of the literary review for you there already. A full discussion of other specific tools is probably better for other specific threads.
          Last edited by nilshomer; 08-01-2009, 09:25 PM. Reason: qualifications

Comment

Many Thanks for the pointers Nils. It is enough to get me started.

-A

Comment

WU genome center has a list of Cancer Genomics tools which includes some tools for structural variation
              Cancer Genomics and Immunogenomics. Lecture series. Genetic Pathology Scientific Stream. Royal College of Pathologists of Australasia annual Pathology Update 2019. Melbourne, Australia. 22-24 Febru…

also, there is MoDIL for finding short indels in libraries

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
              • seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
              0 responses