Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HTSeq warning message

I am using HTSeq-count to count paired end reads (2 samples with 3 replicates in each) . But I am getting the warning message which says "some reads with missing mates encountered". Am I doing something wrong? Following are the missing mates in all 6 reads.

HTML Code:
    Warning: 29572652 reads with missing mate encountered.
    79486404 SAM alignment pairs processed.

Warning: 29467379 reads with missing mate encountered.
    74028848 SAM alignment pairs processed.

Warning: 41994492 reads with missing mate encountered.
    108334368 SAM alignment pairs processed.

Warning: 31994985 reads with missing mate encountered.
    81980266 SAM alignment pairs processed.

Warning: 145791964 reads with missing mate encountered.
    150324577 SAM alignment pairs processed.

Warning: 128675855 reads with missing mate encountered.
    132292695 SAM alignment pairs processed.
    I am using the following command
    HTML Code:
    htseq-count -r name -m intersection-strict -s no -i gene_id  <sorted_by_name.sam> <GTF File>   >  <Count File>

Which aligner did you use? Odds are good that these are singletons.

Comment

I used BWA-MEM for alignment. Then used samtools to sort the SAM file using this

HTML Code:
      samtools view -b -S File.SAM > File.BAM
      samtools sort -n File.BAM   File_sorted
      samtools view -h  File_sorted.bam > File_sorted.sam

Comment

What happens if you:
        Code:
        samtools view -SF 8 File_sorted.sam | htseq-count -r name -m intersection-strict -s no -i gene_id  - <GTF File>   >  <Count File>
        If the warnings go away, then you know that this is due to singletons. With bwa mem, this could also be due to chimeric/fusion/non-linear alignments. I don't use bwa mem with RNAseq datasets, so I've not thought much about how such alignments might get treated by htseq-count.

BTW, you can skip the sorting and conversion to/from BAM and just use the initial SAM (or BAM if you pipe bwa mem to samtools) file. You don't have to actually name-sort things, the aligner will output pairs together anyway and that's all that htseq-count wants.

Comment

Thanks !! I will try that.

I used the original SAM as you suggested in an earlier post, but that gave me some error. So I tried with sorted sam. I am using BWA-MEM because tophat2 cannot handle the large files. Can you please suggest any other aligner for RNA-Seq reads?

I am trying STAR aligner now, but getting segmentation fault while mapping the reads

<HTML>./STAR --genomeDir /PATH/index/ --readFilesIn /Read_PATH/_L001_R1.fastq, /Read_PATH/_L002_R1.fastq /Read_PATH/_L001_R2.fastq, /ReadPATH/_L002_R2_001.fastq --runThreadN 10<HTML>

Comment

I was about to suggest using STAR, it's what I use. Which version of STAR are you using? I know that some people have reported segfaults of some of the recent versions (btw, you should post that to the user forum, Alex Dobin is one of the few aligner authors who actually provides timely feedback), though I've not had any issues myself.

Comment

I am using the latest version(2.3.0.1) . Yes, I saw some other people are also getting seg fault. I will post that on google group. Anyway, Thanks a lot for your help

Comment

It's actually up to 2.4.0c, but you'll have to get it from github now.

Comment

I see. Thanks !!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                  • seqadmin
                    Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                    by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                    Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                    03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post seqadmin  
                  Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                  0 responses