Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 454 reads mapping to more than one scaffold?

Hey guys, I've been struggling with this question for a while, since I don't program very well.

So, I've mapped some 454 contigs to a very fragmented draft genome (a lot of scaffolds), and I would like to access the quality of this draft by:

1-) Computing how many 454 contigs have mapped to different scaffolds (to investigate how fragmented the draft is)
    2-) Computing the alignment length and identity of each aligned 454 contig..

I've mapped with BWA and I have sam, bam and index files.

Can I find these infos with samtools? Or should I use something else?
    Thank you so much!

I don't see how mapping would be particularly illuminating in this situation. You can generate information on both contig and scaffold continuity with the BBMap suite:

stats.sh in=genome.fa

Alternatively, Quast will generate some nice graphical plots genome size versus number of contigs, but I can't remember if it breaks it down by both contigs and scaffolds.

Comment

Thank you Brian!

Well, I know that the genome I'm assembling has a high amount of repetitive regions and I have the stats for this first draft, its still pretty bad.

The thing is I have some complete (and some long genes) for such genome generated with 454 technology a couple of years ago. So, by having a look if such sequences would map perfectly inside big scaffolds, or the mapping would be fragmented and to multiple scaffolds, could help to give me an idea of the challenge I'm facing (mostly in terms of the location of the repetitive sequences)!

Comment

To clarify -

What clade are you working on?

And do you have 454 RNA-seq genes, or genes predicted from assembly of 454 DNA reads?

Comment

Hi Brian, its a Mollusk!

And I have RNA (cDNA) sequenced with 454 and assembled!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
          • seqadmin
            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
          0 responses