No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• de novo or not de novo

Hello,

We have sequenced an E coli strain using 454 and now we want to publish its genome.

One basic, but apparently fundamental question I have is: should I prefer a de novo approach or a mapping approach to some ref. strain?

I have enough data for de novo analysis. De novo assembling gave me about 90 contigs, some of them pretty long which are easy to work with, some medium sized and a few were small ones.

Mapping of reads with a ref. E coli strain (K-12) tells that our data cover 94% of the E coli genome and 88% of reads were successfully mapped.

However, when I tried to map the de novo contigs (and not the reads!), I got only 20% of the genome covered.

So I wonder what to do. On one side, I am looking for novell genes on this particular strain. I have no idea (yet) what strain is the closest to it phylogenetically. So de novo approach seems the right thing to do.

But then, I have trouble mapping the contigs in their predicted order.

On the other hand, ref. mapping makes life much easier. The genome is almost entirely covered. I have 12% of reads unmapped which are apparently an insertion and a plasmid. The problem is, am I loosing data here?

De novo x mapping is apparently giving my different contigs (as far as I understand it), which will give me different annotations. Or not? I am a microbiologist trying to understand some bioinformatics. The people I am working with on the analysis do not have a straight answer for me on this issue. I hope someone here has experience on bacteria genome analysis and is willing to give me some help on this question. What is the most acceptable thing to do?

Thanks a lot!

I suggest a hybrid assembly. This pulication can be useful to you "http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2164/11/243". The softwares used by you can be different but the methods in principle can be applied to build the genome.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
      by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
      04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
    • seqadmin
      Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
      by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
      04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 08:47 AM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
    0 responses