Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you Mike. I will try what you suggest. Sounds like a good idea. I will let you know if it works.
    Thanks,
    TN

Comment

Here's an example of a run I did successfully. I never got RepeatModeler working, and the installation of the standalone Blast program RMblast was a bit tricky. Make sure TRF and nseg are working too, for the first filtering stage below. As I understand it, RepeatModeler is basically just a wrapper for the programs below anyway.

Repeatscout run: using yourgenome.fasta

Code:
      ./build_lmer_table -l 14 -sequence yourgenome.fasta  -freq ~/Desktop/Vi_14.freq
      Build a frequency table of all repeats of size 14 within the Vi genome

Code:
      ./RepeatScout -sequence yourgenome.fasta  -output your_repeats.fasta -freq your_freq_table -l 14
      Greedily extend 14-mer repeats until they diverge (see http://bix.ucsd.edu/repeatscout/repeatscout-ismb.pptfor a good explanation of this)

Code:
      cat your_repeats.fasta| ./filter-stage-1.prl >your_repeats_filtered1.fasta
      Filter out low-complexity or tandem repeats

Code:
      ./RepeatMasker -s -lib your_repeats_filtered1.fasta yourgenome.fasta
      Generate a masked genome using (non-low-complexity, non-tandem) repeats

Code:
      cat your_repeats_filtered1.fasta | ./filter-stage-2.prl --cat yourgenome.fasta.out --thresh 10  your_repeats_filtered2.fasta
      Filter out all (non-low-complexity, non-tandem) repeats that have less than 10 repeats

Code:
      ./RepeatMasker -pa 4 -s -lib your_repeats_filtered2.fasta -nolow -norna -no_is -gff yourgenome.fasta
      Produce a .gff file (among other files) of all non-low-complexity, non-tandem, non-rRNA repeats.

Obviously you might need to modify parameters here and there to fit your requirements. The naming of the features in the resulting .gff file is a bit uninformative too.

Comment

By the way Zimbobo, if you're doing de novo repeat element predictions you won't need existing repeat element libraries at all. You generate them yourself.

Comment

Hi DFJ111 and mike.t,

I followed the suggestions from you both, the repeat library was successfully built.

When I ran the first filter, the results said:

14184 deleted. 14185 saved. 111 skipped for length.

but the output file (contigs65fullQC2.filtered.fa.gt1k.fa.repeatscout.filter1) was empty.
          Code:
          cat /group/aquaculture/mussels/sequencing/MUSSEL1/repeatscout/contigs65fullQC2.filtered.fa.gt1k.fa.repeatscout | ./filter-stage-1.prl > contigs65fullQC2.filtered.fa.gt1k.fa.repeatscout.filter1
          Do you have any idea why?

Thanks,
          TN

Comment

I haven't run RepeatScout in a while so I'm afraid I can't help you. You may want to try another de novo repeat finding program. Try piler or RepeatModeler. piler usually works pretty well on fungi, although I am using the REPET pipeline these days.

Comment

Originally posted by mike.t View Post
              I haven't run RepeatScout in a while so I'm afraid I can't help you. You may want to try another de novo repeat finding program. Try piler or RepeatModeler. piler usually works pretty well on fungi, although I am using the REPET pipeline these days.
              Hi mike.t,
              I am using RepeatModeler, but it took 151 hours in a "Round-5" with sample size 81 Mb.
              The program is still running (over a week), and I can not estimate when it will finish.
              Is that a normal case? Although I am using soybean genome sizing ~ 973 Mb.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by tnguyen View Post
                Hi DFJ111 and mike.t,

I followed the suggestions from you both, the repeat library was successfully built.

When I ran the first filter, the results said:

14184 deleted. 14185 saved. 111 skipped for length.

but the output file (contigs65fullQC2.filtered.fa.gt1k.fa.repeatscout.filter1) was empty.
                Code:
                cat /group/aquaculture/mussels/sequencing/MUSSEL1/repeatscout/contigs65fullQC2.filtered.fa.gt1k.fa.repeatscout | ./filter-stage-1.prl > contigs65fullQC2.filtered.fa.gt1k.fa.repeatscout.filter1
                Do you have any idea why?

Thanks,
                TN
                If the problem is occurring when using
                Code:
                filter-stage-1.prl
                check that TRF and nseg are properly installed and on your PATH. I had the same problem but I can't actually remember how I solved it.. it's solvable though.
                Last edited by DFJ111; 10-02-2012, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sunhh View Post
                  Hi mike.t,
                  I am using RepeatModeler, but it took 151 hours in a "Round-5" with sample size 81 Mb.
                  The program is still running (over a week), and I can not estimate when it will finish.
                  Is that a normal case? Although I am using soybean genome sizing ~ 973 Mb.

Thanks!
                  I believe the "Round-5" is coming from one of the programs RepeatModeler uses - It could be RepeatRunner or RECON - I don't remember. In any case, if you're using only 81 Mb then this is not normal behavior.

There are repeats for soybean already in RepBase Just run RepeatMasker with them. If you suspect that there are new repeats in your genome that aren't in RepBase, then run RepeatModeler or some other program on the masked genome made by RepeatMasker. It will be a lot faster and possibly won't hang.

Comment

Originally posted by mike.t View Post
                    I believe the "Round-5" is coming from one of the programs RepeatModeler uses - It could be RepeatRunner or RECON - I don't remember. In any case, if you're using only 81 Mb then this is not normal behavior.

There are repeats for soybean already in RepBase Just run RepeatMasker with them. If you suspect that there are new repeats in your genome that aren't in RepBase, then run RepeatModeler or some other program on the masked genome made by RepeatMasker. It will be a lot faster and possibly won't hang.
                    Thanks, Mike.t
                    Yes, I read the script and I think these "rmblastn" are called for RECON. Although my input genome is ~973 Mb, in this round the sample size is only 82500254 bp. I think the main problem should be caused by rmblastn, because most of time it only use 1 cpu instead of 20 I assigned by "-num_threads 20"!
                    I have to run de novo search, because I will have some other genome to deal with. However, I had run RepeatMasker on soybean genome, and I can only find 24.93 % of LTR. While in the genome paper, LTR elements covers 41.99%.

Comment

I found another thread in SEQanswer, and someone else had a similar problem with me.
                      His blast+ aligning always drop to 1 thread no matter how many "-num_threads" he assigned.
                      Some one said it is because the query sequence are too short (only word matching step is multithreads), but in my case, a batch sequence in RepeatModeler (for RECON) is 40kb. It is still not large enough?

Comment

Thanks, Mike.t
                        Yes, I read the script and I think these "rmblastn" are called for RECON. Although my input genome is ~973 Mb, in this round the sample size is only 82500254 bp. I think the main problem should be caused by rmblastn, because most of time it only use 1 cpu instead of 20 I assigned by "-num_threads 20"!
                        I have to run de novo search, because I will have some other genome to deal with. However, I had run RepeatMasker on soybean genome, and I can only find 24.93 % of LTR. While in the genome paper, LTR elements covers 41.99%.
                        Hi, my repeatmoderler run very slowly too, and the input genome is 300M. Maybe the abblast, by default, also used only 1 cpu, so I assigned 10 by "-num_threads 10" like you, however, the repeatmoderler contained no this option. Could you pls tell me how to set the parameter in repeatmoderler/abblast.
                        Thank you very much!
                        lyn

Comment

Originally posted by Lyn Hsiong View Post
                          Hi, my repeatmoderler run very slowly too, and the input genome is 300M. Maybe the abblast, by default, also used only 1 cpu, so I assigned 10 by "-num_threads 10" like you, however, the repeatmoderler contained no this option. Could you pls tell me how to set the parameter in repeatmoderler/abblast.
                          Thank you very much!
                          lyn
                          It helps little to modify the threads value for rmblast. But you can do it in the .pm file (you can fing that file by grep threads in .pm files). Just wait for less than two weeks, and you will get final result.
                          Good luck!

Comment

It helps little to modify the threads value for rmblast. But you can do it in the .pm file (you can fing that file by grep threads in .pm files). Just wait for less than two weeks, and you will get final result.
                            Good luck!
                            thank you very much! but i don't know how to deal with the .pm file (i suppose you meant the file "RepModelConfig.pm"). the file only contains Pre-installed programs' paths (perl, recon, repeatmasker and so on), so where can i set the threads value? and could you pls tell me what the "grep threads" exactly mean? thank you!

Comment

Repeatmodeler error in building database

I have installed repeatmodeler. But when i am building database

./BuildDatabase -name test test.fa

it is showing error and the RepModelConfig.pm file is empty

RepModelConfig.pm did not return a true value at ./BuildDatabase line 146.
                              BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at ./BuildDatabase line 146.

Anyone can help me to findout the error..

Thanks..
                              Last edited by amitbik; 01-22-2014, 11:18 PM.

Comment

Hi DFJ111,

I followed according to your steps and it is worked fine but in the .tbl file i am geting this output

file name: file.fa
                                sequences: 336145
                                total length: 330872632 bp (330872632 bp excl N/X-runs)
                                GC level: 39.43 %
                                bases masked: 199587278 bp ( 60.32 %)
                                ==================================================
                                number of length percentage
                                elements* occupied of sequence
                                --------------------------------------------------
                                SINEs: 0 0 bp 0.00 %
                                ALUs 0 0 bp 0.00 %
                                MIRs 0 0 bp 0.00 %

LINEs: 0 0 bp 0.00 %
                                LINE1 0 0 bp 0.00 %
                                LINE2 0 0 bp 0.00 %
                                L3/CR1 0 0 bp 0.00 %

LTR elements: 0 0 bp 0.00 %
                                ERVL 0 0 bp 0.00 %
                                ERVL-MaLRs 0 0 bp 0.00 %
                                ERV_classI 0 0 bp 0.00 %
                                ERV_classII 0 0 bp 0.00 %

DNA elements: 0 0 bp 0.00 %
                                hAT-Charlie 0 0 bp 0.00 %
                                TcMar-Tigger 0 0 bp 0.00 %

Unclassified: 866174 216405375 bp 65.40 %

Total interspersed repeats:216405375 bp 65.40 %

Small RNA: 0 0 bp 0.00 %

Satellites: 0 0 bp 0.00 %
                                Simple repeats: 51195 2109015 bp 0.64 %
                                Low complexity: 0 0 bp 0.00 %
                                ==================================================

* most repeats fragmented by insertions or deletions
                                have been counted as one element

The query species was assumed to be homo
                                RepeatMasker version open-4.0.3 , sensitive mode

run with rmblastn version 2.2.27+
                                The query was compared to unclassified sequences in ".../repeats_1.fa"
                                RepBase Update 20130422, RM database version 20130422

can you guide me why most of the output are showing 0.

Thanks in advance...

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                                • seqadmin
                                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                                0 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post seqadmin  
                                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                                0 responses