Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unable to find flag in SAM with bowtie2 - but can with BWA

I'm currently using Bowtie2 to map my reads to a small region of a genome to find what region it's in by collecting the unmapped pairs of the reads which have mapped.

I'm currently using samtools flags to get the reads I want:

---a--- ......... -------------
    |------------------------gene----------------|
    -------..............----b-----
    What we want is
    a: retain unmapped reads whose mate is on reverse strand (-f 36)
    b: retain unmapped reads (-f 4) excluding reads whose mate is on reverse strand or unmapped (-F 40)

samtools view -Sb -f 36 sam > NtermBam
    samtools view -Sb -f 4 -F 40 sam > CtermBam

Previously when mapping with BWA both of these commands would work and I would get an N terminus bam and a C terminus bam. However, when I map with Bowtie2 (because the mapping itself is better), I get no reads in the N terminus bam and all the reads go to the C terminus bam.

Does anyone know why this might be? I'm pretty sure the samtools commands are right because it works with BWA. I'm thinking it has something to do with Bowtie2, maybe not recording flags correctly?

A couple points. Firstly, what was the exact bowtie2 command that you specified? Depending on the flags you used, the unmapped reads may or may not even be included. Secondly, I hope you take the orientation of your genes into account when you start calling the files Nterm and Cterm. They'll be swapped if the gene is on the - strand.

BTW, the most straight forward solution is to just find a couple reads like this from the bwa alignment and use grep to see what bowtie2 did with them. Presuming they map the same, you'll then know if bowtie2 is doing something unexpected with the flags.

Comment

The bowtie2 commands I specified were these:

bowtie2-build ref base_name
      bowtie2 --sensitive-local -x base_name -1 fq1 -2 fq2 -S sam

I'm aware that Nterm and Cterm have particular meanings, I'm just not too worried about it at this point. Once I get past this section in my testing I'll make sure the orientation is taken into account.

Comment

Originally posted by dpryan View Post
        BTW, the most straight forward solution is to just find a couple reads like this from the bwa alignment and use grep to see what bowtie2 did with them. Presuming they map the same, you'll then know if bowtie2 is doing something unexpected with the flags.
        I agree with dpryan -- get a couple of reads that you like from BWA and see what Bowtie2 did with them. The sam/bam format is flexible enough to allow programs to have different opinions on what flags are appropriate. As an aside BWA and Bowtie2 will report different template lengths (column 9) for the same mappings which just shows how 'flexible' (or ill-defined) the sam/bam format is.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
        • seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
        0 responses