SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Introductions

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
bowtie command line for Illumina Hiseq 2000 with Illumina 1.5+ quality encoding files rworthi Illumina/Solexa 4 09-28-2011 12:25 PM
Convertion of SOLiD3 gff to SAM/BAM for IGV browser hingamp SOLiD 8 03-03-2010 02:45 PM
GAIIx VS Solid3 crapsnico General 0 05-25-2009 07:25 AM

Old 03-30-2009, 12:21 AM   #1
f85978

Default Illumina or Solid3

Hello, my name is Dorota. I come from Poland, but currently I am working in the Deaprtment of Genetics at King Faisla Hospital and Research Center in Riyadh. I supervise Sequencing Core Facility which is equipped with two Megabeses, two ABI 3130xl and one 3730xl. We generate up to 1500 sequencing reads per day. Our main research interest is a screening of candidate genes related to many different genetic disorders. Now we are going to get one of available NGS platforms. We are taking Illumina and Solid 3into consideration. I would be very grateful for any advices, which one will be better.
Regards,
Dorota
f85978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 05:52 AM   #2
joa_ds

if you have access to a good analysis team, take the solid. But if you have to use existing products, i'd say, go for the illumina...

The solid produces a huge amount of data which is useless if there is noone that can write scripts and analyse it, especially with the color space. The illumina on the other hand is available with a very 'easy' pipeline, it still takes a linux guy to install and validate it, but at least you can start analysing faster than a solid run.
joa_ds is offline   Reply With Quote