Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bacterial genomic DNA sample

Hi my name is Manuela and I work in the field of environmental microbiology. I need to prepare a bacterial genomic DNA sample to be sequenced by Illumina sequencing system. I need information about DNA quality, DNA concentration and DNA eluition solution. Could anyone be so kind to give me these information?

Thank you for your assistance

Manuela

Buffer = TE (or water)
    Quantity = 3ug ( you can get away with less than this if you need)
    260/280 = >1.7
    260/230 = >2

Comment

Thanks for your reply.
      Is bacterial genomic DNA integrity important for the genome sequencing?
      How can the shearing during DNA extraction affect sequencing?
      I attach a gel image of my genomic DNA samples (the marker is 1Kb Abgene ladder).
      Could you please tell me if these DNA samples can be used to safely sequence and assembly by Illumina technology?

Comment

Having intact DNA is important in order to get even shearing across the genome, and thereby more even representation of the genome in your final sequence data. If you have degradation you need to account for it in your shearing times and intensities. I dont know the size of the genome you are dealing with, but the DNA appears to relatively intact.

What is the size of genome?

How do yo intend to shear your DNA? Or are you sending this out to a core?

Comment

I have no idea about the genome size but it could be about 5000 Kb and I’m sending the genomic DNA out in a sequencing center

Comment

Your DNA looks good. It is largely intact. To estimate the amount you have, use your agarose gel or a double-strand specific assay, like pico green. RNA and even very small amounts of phenol can cause you to drastically over-estimate the amount of DNA you have if you use UV spec (nanodrop, etc.) Phenol can be ruled out if the A260/A270 is > 1.2. But RNA, degraded or not,

Contrary to popular belief, phenol, by itself, does not result in a low A260/A230 ratio. I have dissolved 1 ul of molten phenol (unequilibrated) in 1 ml of pure water. The resulting nanodrop trace gave an A260/A230 ratio of 2.67, A260/A280 of 2.15 and a "DNA" concentration of 542 ng/ul. All with no DNA of any sort present in the solution

--
            Phillip

Comment

Thank you Phillipfor you interest!
              Could you please tell me if there is a possibility to over-estimate the amount of DNA in the sample with very small amount of RNA even if it is no possible to visualize any trace of RNA in the agarose gel (like the gel I attached)?
              My protocol for the preparation of bacterial genomic DNA do not use any sort of phenolic compounds: do you think my genomic DNA samples may be affected by any sort of phenolic contamination?
              The bacterial strain I’d like to sequence has got a 100 kb megaplasmid. It is possible to safely sequence this extrachromosomal DNA if this megaplasmid is in the same samples? Or it necessary to supply separately the chromosomal DNA and the extracromosomal one?

Comment

Originally posted by mazinga View Post
                Thank you Phillipfor you interest!
                Could you please tell me if there is a possibility to over-estimate the amount of DNA in the sample with very small amount of RNA even if it is no possible to visualize any trace of RNA in the agarose gel (like the gel I attached)?
                There absolutely is! Think about it: does degrading all the RNA in your sample down to mono-nucleotides change the UV absorbance of those nucleotides? Not much. But you will no longer be able to see them on a gel -- your matrix will not resolve down to 1 nucleotide and even if it did, your dye would probably not bind in the absence of double-stranded polynucleotides.

Genomic DNA preps are the ones you want to either use fluorimetry to assay or compare them to known molecular mass standards on a gel.

--
                Phillip

Comment

You don't need to purify the megaplasmid away; everything will be sequenced together & then your assembly program will try to put it all back together correctly. In an ideal world, you'd get two DNA sequences back out (1 for chromosome, 1 for megaplasmid), but in the real world you will get a collection of contigs, some from each.

Comment

Ah yes--the megaplasmid.
                    I agree with krobison, megaplasmids are rarely more than 1-2 copies/cell. Should not interfere.

On occasion I have seen samples of genomic DNA that were prepared in the same centrifuge bottles as a large (high copy) plasmid prep. The contamination was substantial.

--
                    Phillip

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                    • seqadmin
                      Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                      by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                      Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                      03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post seqadmin  
                    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                    0 responses