Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SAM to BAM conversion issue

All of a sudden a problem with SAM to BAM conversion has cropped up for me.

I used Bowtie 1 to map sRNA reads to a sequence of interested and had a SAM file outputted:

Code:
    @HD	VN:1.0	SO:unsorted
    @SQ	SN:centc	LN:11067
    @PG	ID:Bowtie	VN:0.12.8	CL:"bowtie -f -S --al /Users/birchlerlab/Desktop/TB9Sb1_centc_aligned.fa /Users/birchlerlab/Desktop/maize_centromeres/centc.fa /Users/birchlerlab/Desktop/TB9SB1_filtered_18_28nt.fa"
    CTATAAGTCTGTGAAGGTGTCTT	4	*	0	0	*	*	0	0	CTATAAGTCTGTGAAGGTGTCTT	IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII	XM:i:0
    AAGGGGTCGACACAGTTTAGCATG	4	*	0	0	*	*	0	0	AAGGGGTCGACACAGTTTAGCATG	IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII	XM:i:0
    CCTTCTATCGACGGAGCAGGACGCC	4	*	0	0	*	*	0	0	CCTTCTATCGACGGAGCAGGACGCC	IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII	XM:i:0
    CATAACGAAGAAACCCTAGCCT	4	*	0	0	*	*	0	0	CATAACGAAGAAACCCTAGCCT	IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII	XM:i:0
    ATGAATGTAGATGAAGGGAACTCA	4	*	0	0	*	*	0	0	ATGAATGTAGATGAAGGGAACTCA	IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII	XM:i:0
    GAGGATAGCCAAGAGTTCAGGGCC	4	*	0	0	*	*	0	0	GAGGATAGCCAAGAGTTCAGGGCC	IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII	XM:i:0
    GTGAGTTGAGAATCCATGCGGGCG	4	*	0	0	*	*	0	0	GTGAGTTGAGAATCCATGCGGGCG	IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII	XM:i:0
    GTGAGTTGAGAATCCATGCGGGCG	4	*	0	0	*	*	0	0	GTGAGTTGAGAATCCATGCGGGCG	IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII	XM:i:0
    AAGGAGAGTAAGAATTAACAGTGT	4	*	0	0	*	*	0	0	AAGGAGAGTAAGAATTAACAGTGT	IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII	XM:i:0
    AAGGAGAGTAAGAATTAACAGTGT	4	*	0	0	*	*	0	0	AAGGAGAGTAAGAATTAACAGTGT	IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII	XM:i:0
    Everything seemed okay at that point, and I wanted to throw the output into IGV to visualize the reads when it yelled at me (rightfully so) that my SAM file was unsorted.

Aha! I thought I would just convert to BAM then sort, then go back to IGV.

So I used this to convert SAM to BAM:

Code:
    samtools view -bS ~/TB9SB3.sam > ~/TB9SB3.bam
    Then I went to sort the file and it finished instantly. I knew something was not right so I looked at my BAM file and it looked like garbled trash (see photo from a related sample).

Any suggestions on what I might have done to screw things up? I have installed nothing/deleted nothing since my SAM to BAM conversions were working well last week.
    My previous SAM to BAM converstions were with Tophat output though. Does Bowtie output not do well with a conversion?

BAM files are compacted and compressed, so you wont be able to read them in a text viewer. Try converting back from BAM to SAM to see if you get the original SAM file.

Comment

Of course! Thank you!

I'm guessing I just entered a bad sort command now.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
      • seqadmin
        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
      0 responses