X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tutor wanted for remote sessions

Posted this in Bioinformatics too:

Hi everyone,

I was looking for a tutor that would be willing to sit down for a few one hour long sessions, once or twice a week. These sessions would be to explain and walk me through a few important concepts involved in genome assembly (de novo, and via reference). We would be working with publicly available data sets in a linux environment over gtalk/skype.

It would be ideal to have someone that has a considerable amount of industrial experience in bioinformatics with a broad understanding of computational biology.

I would be willing to pay a reasonable rate via paypal or any other agreed medium! I'm on Pacific standard time, and am available weekends or late evenings.

A few sample questions--if you can answer these off the top of your head you're in great shape:

1. What is a k-mer value?
    2. How big and what are the file formats generated from a illumina hi-seq machine at 30x coverage? (for e. coli...)
    3. How are data sets trimmed? (popular programs to do so)

Cheers!

Originally posted by newkid View Post
    Posted this in Bioinformatics too:

Hi everyone,

I was looking for a tutor that would be willing to sit down for a few one hour long sessions, once or twice a week. These sessions would be to explain and walk me through a few important concepts involved in genome assembly (de novo, and via reference). We would be working with publicly available data sets in a linux environment over gtalk/skype.

It would be ideal to have someone that has a considerable amount of industrial experience in bioinformatics with a broad understanding of computational biology.

I would be willing to pay a reasonable rate via paypal or any other agreed medium! I'm on Pacific standard time, and am available weekends or late evenings.

A few sample questions--if you can answer these off the top of your head you're in great shape:

1. What is a k-mer value?
    2. How big and what are the file formats generated from a illumina hi-seq machine at 30x coverage? (for e. coli...)
    3. How are data sets trimmed? (popular programs to do so)

Cheers!
    Hi,

I am from CA as well and though i am not from Industry i have fair bit of RNAseq experience. I have done lots and lots of denovo and reference based assemblies and after undergoing through lots of pains and thrills i am very comfortable dealing with any kind of denovo and RB stuff.

Regarding your questions:
    1. K-mer is the seed/word size of length k observed more than once in a sequence.

2. Assuming you are sequencing your library with SE of 50 bases you only need 3 million reads to get a coverage of 30X. So that is 1/50 of the lane in hi-seq.

3. I assume you are asking about the ways to trim you reads. If so there a many number of ways to do so and one popular tool is FASTX tool kit.

Thanks

Comment

Here are my 2 cents:

... or in the dataset. When you can find exact same sequence very often in your raw data while you are checking its quality (e.g. with FastQC), it is most probably an artifact. Sequencing primers, adaptors. But it can also be rRNA. Blast such sequences and find out. If you do not like them, find ways to extract them.

... Illumina files usualy come in the FASTQ format: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FASTQ_format
      The size of the files would some hundred MB

... I also highly recommend the FASTX toolkit. Combining these tools is perfect to get your data in shape

Comment

3. I thought 'Trim Galore' is better for integrated Cutadapt and FastQC to consistently apply quality and adapter trimming to FastQ files together

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyleo View Post
          3. I thought 'Trim Galore' is better for integrated Cutadapt and FastQC to consistently apply quality and adapter trimming to FastQ files together
          Good that you mention cutadapt.You can use both
          I used cutadapt in combination with the FASTX tools. The FASTX Barcode Splitter seems to be not so versatile.

Comment

Position is still open

PM me, if it's of any interest.

Comment

Originally posted by upendra_35 View Post
              1. K-mer is the seed/word size of length k observed more than once in a sequence.
              Just to be thorough, I'll add that a k-mer does not have to be observed more than once. Any k-mer that is observed exactly once is considered unique and the ratio of these to all other k-mers in a data set is a metric frequently used in comparative genomics.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
              • seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
              0 responses