Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miseq Fastq Format: Forward and Reverse Issue

I am doing some experiment with BowTie. Now, I want to do experiment with 150 bps read length. So, I download it from here. There, it is written 1 forward and 151 reverse. Can anybody help me what does this forward and reverse means ?

It is showing you the base at the 5' position. The '1' means that the forward strand begins at position 1. 5' to 3'. The '151' means that the reverse strand ends at position 151 once again reading 5' to 3'.

BTW: There is no need to repeat your question in multiple threads.

BTW#2. The miSeq puts out 151 base pair reads not 150 bp reads. That is just the way it is.

Comment

Originally posted by westerman View Post
      It is showing you the base at the 5' position. The '1' means that the forward strand begins at position 1. 5' to 3'. The '151' means that the reverse strand ends at position 151 once again reading 5' to 3'.

BTW: There is no need to repeat your question in multiple threads.

BTW#2. The miSeq puts out 151 base pair reads not 150 bp reads. That is just the way it is.
      means first end (1-151) is taken from DNA's forward stand and second one (152-302) taken from DNA's reverse strand ? Means are they reverse complement ? Sorry, I have very little idea about Bioinformatics.

Comment

Originally posted by Arupsss View Post
        means first end (1-151) is taken from DNA's forward stand and second one (152-302) taken from DNA's reverse strand ? Means are they reverse complement ? Sorry, I have very little idea about Bioinformatics.
        SRA shows the two reads per pair in what I consider to be a strange manner since SRA combines both reads together despite that there should be a insert distance (positive or negative) between the pairs. But given that view, then yes, 1-151 would be 5' to 3' then it goes in reverse from 3' to 5'.

When you eventually download the reads in fastq or fasta format the 'forward' reads will be 5' to 3' bases 1 to 151. The 'reverse' reads should be 5' to 3' bases 151 to 1. Although, when I download the fastq I am getting 150 bases for the forward and 152 bases for the reverse. So using the SRA tools might be a better choice for data manipulation.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
        • seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
        0 responses