Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Running a HiSeq Prepped Sample on a MiSeq

I have some samples that were prepared and sent out to a sequencing facility to originally be run on an Illumina HiSeq, but through some unfortunate events these samples were not run on the HiSeq.

However, we do have a MiSeq at our institution and we want to run some of these samples that were originally prepared to be run on the HiSeq to now be run on the MiSeq.

The sample I want to start with is an 1000 ul enrinched library and is diluted down to 6 pM (I believe the sample is in the Illumina HT1 buffer + 0.1 N NaOH). The sample has been sitting in the -80C for about 6 months or so. I am trying to figure out what would be the best course of action to take in order to run this sample on the MiSeq and to have a successful run. Here are some of our thoughts so far:

- First we wanted to see if the sample was actually still at 6 pM by using qPCR and then continuing on with running the sample if it was still at this concentration.

- I also don’t know if the sample would still be denatured after sitting in the -80C for this period of time. So if we did want to qPCR the sample and move on would the sample still be denatured from the NaOH? And if so we are dealing with a much larger volume now of sample (1000 ul) because it is in the HT1 buffer and NaOH so we would have to figure out how to account for the volume change, added buffer, etc.

- I also called Illumina and explained the situation to them and their advice was to: ethanol precipitae the sample to get it out of the NaOH, then resuspend the sample in water, bioanalyze it, and then go from there. But of course since this is a weird situation they are not sure if this will work.

I know this is an odd situation but if anyone has any good ideas or advice it would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

I have stored 20pM denatured samples in HT1 (only at -20C) for ~3-4 months and they cluster very similarly after simply thawing, diluting again and running.

You don't have much material... (~3 ng)

...but if you're an ethanol precipitation pro (ie ~100% recovery in 10ul) you should be able to get enough material to run HS Bioanalyzer. Depending on how precious the sample is...I would probably err on the side of running half of it, and trying to purify/reserve the other half in case the run bombs. But the odds are it's not going to OVER cluster if you trust your qPCR. Half of ideal density is better than losing all your material in an ethanol precipitation.

Comment

Quantitatively precipitating a 6 pM solution of ssDNA is the bench equivalent of snatching an arrow in flight out of the air.

Don't you have the 10 nM or 2 nM stock from which the 6 pM solution derives?

--
      Phillip
      Last edited by pmiguel; 03-02-2012, 08:27 AM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Originally posted by pmiguel View Post
        Quantitatively precipitating a 6 pM solution of ssDNA is the bench equivalent of snatching an arrow in flight out of the air.
        Hey, I saw a guy do it on MythBusters! [The arrow thing, not precipitate 6pM DNA]

Comment

Unfortunately we do not have another stock solution because these were samples that were sent back to us from a company that was going to run them on the HiSeq. They only sent back this one concentration of this particular sample so that is what we have to work with. However, we did start a run with the sample and it seems to be behaving well so far so I will let you know what the end results are.

Thanks to everyone for advice!

Comment

What company was this? I want to be sure not to use them.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
            • seqadmin
              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
            0 responses