No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best input file format for SeqMonk

hello

i am going to identify Differentially methylated regions (DMRs) using SeqMonk. as you know i can use different file format as my imported data. i used BAM, SAM, SAM sorted, COV files from bismark and CpG context taken from bismark extractor. each time i applied exactly same setting (probe definition, ...). I got around 5 million probes for COV and CpG context file, while i got around 1.2 million probes for BAM, SAM and SAM sorted files, which finally resulted in 256 differently methylated genes for COV and CpG context file and only 37 genes for BAM, SAM and SAM sorted files.

all imported files are originally coming from same sequencing file. any idea why im getting such a big difference in DMRs?

what is the best file format as an imported file in order to looked at the DMR and annotate against reference genome using SeqMonk?

thank you for your help.

Hi Heidi86,

I think the answer to your question is fairly simple: Bismark coverage files or the CpG methylation call files contain methylation data (as single-base calls), while SAM, BAM or sorted BAM files are simply an alignment format that as such doesn't have anything to do with methylation. In other words, you cannot use BAM files to identify DMRs, but you could use them to more generally look at read coverage or the like.

Allow me to point you to the methylation analysis course here https://www.bioinformatics.babraham....ing.html#bsseq, where you can find examples and practicals of how to use BAM or coverage files for coverage or methylation analysis. Best, Felix

Comment

thank you so much for your help, the course is awesome

Thank you again

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
      • seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
      0 responses