No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which master's degree in Bioinformatics? Help me

Hello bioinformaticians,

I'm a 4th year student in Genetics degree, in Barcelona (Spain), and next year I want to start a Master in Bioinformatics. I'm hesitating a lot between doing the master here in Barcelona or maybe in another country in Europe. I've been looking at some Masters in Bioinformatics in good universities like ETH Zurich, University of Edinburgh, University of Manchester, Imperial College London, and so on... But I don't know if I will be able to be accepted there.
    Regarding my situation my questions are:

-Which are the best masters in Bioinformatics in Europe?
    -Is it really worth to go to these renowned universities, or is it better to stay?

Thanks a lot,
    Guillermo

I don't know about Europe specifically but the actual university may matter, only if you are planning to stay in academics long-term.

Long as you have demonstrable bioinformatics skills it may not strictly matter what university your degree is from when you go looking for a job.

Hopefully someone from Europe will offer a first-hand perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
      I don't know about Europe specifically but the actual university may matter, only if you are planning to stay in academics long-term.

Long as you have demonstrable bioinformatics skills it may not strictly matter what university your degree is from when you go looking for a job.

Hopefully someone from Europe will offer a first-hand perspective.
      Hi GenoMax! Thanks for the answer. Yes that's true, but as first impression isn't better to have a master in a really good university?

If you know about good masters or PhD programs in USA, I would love to hear them aswell.

Comment

In my experience there are two kinds of masters programs. One is just a degree granted by taking some classes also offered to PhD students--the problem is that these are often not enough to actually do something. The better kind is designed from the start to be a masters program, has classes just for masters students, is focused on gaining skills and real world examples, and has a focus on moving students into career jobs. This is a worthwhile degree to get.

As an example, but there are others out there, is the University of Oregon program (see https://bioinformatics.uoregon.edu/ ) which has a summer intensive program, and an internship program to get students employed in good jobs.
        Providing nextRAD genotyping and PacBio sequencing services. http://snpsaurus.com

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
        • seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
        0 responses