Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Covaris parameters to obtain ~200bp fragments?

I am using the Covaris to shear my samples during sample prep. My target fragment size is ~200bp, however practice shears assessed on the bioanalyser have shown smears which are very spread out, with fragment sizes of 150-250bp making up only 30% of the total fragmented DNA. The parameters used are:

Duty Cycle: 10%
    Intensity: 5
    Cycles/Burst: 200
    Time:180

We have also tested variations of these parameters: 10%dc, 5i, 200cpb, 120s ; 20%dc, 5i, 200cpb, 90s ; 20%dc, 5i, 200cpb, 120s and all produce very similar results. Could anyone tell me the best parameters to use in order to get a greater peak at around 200bp with a narrower spread?

Dear ssg1,

The settings of 10%dc/5i/200cpb/180 seconds is the correct settings for generating 200bp fragments. The same setting is also used and cited in the Agilent SureSelect protocol.
    Please check the following:

1. Make sure that you are using 1-5ug/120ul of DNA in the Covaris MicroTube with the AFA fiber.
    2. The shearing should be carried out with the water tank temperature between 4-8 degrees Celsius.
    3. please check to make certain that the water level in the tank during processing is as suggested in the shearing protocol http://www.covarisinc.com/pdf/pn_400056.pdf
    4. please analyze an aliquot of the sheared DNA prior to any purification or concentration step.

If possible can you send or post a gel image of bioanalyzer trace.

Thank you

hamid

Comment

Dear Hamid,

Thanks for the response, we are already using 3ug/100ul, with a tank temperature between 4-8 degrees Celsius and the appropriate water level in the tank. I have attatched an image of the bioanalyser trace below.
      Attached Files

Comment

Dear ssg1,

The wider distribution that you are noticing is an aritifact of the bioanalyzer electropharogram, and it is due to the following:
        1. Please check your DNA concentration. Typically when we run an 1-2ul aliquot of sheared DNA ( 3ug/120ul)on the Bioanalyzer, we obtain FU units of around 100-150.
        2. Please increased your sample load volume on the Bioanalyzer. Based on what you are currently seeing, I would suggest doubling or tripling the sheared DNA volume you are loading on the chip.
        3. Alternatively, you can always run an aliqote on a 2% agarose TBE gel, and post stain with EthBr.

Thank you

Hamid

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
        • seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
        0 responses