No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• effective mismatches allowed while demultiplexing

Hi all,

What is the minimum/optimum number of mismatches to be allowed during demultiplexing ?? How do we decide this?

I am demultiplexing using fastx-barcode splitter, allowing 4 mismatches (my barcodes are 13mer), but I am getting large amount of unmatched sequences. When I raised it to 7, it gave decent results.

Now how do I decide or is there any criteria on which which to decide this number ?

Thank you.

This answer would depend on how long the barcodes are, and what other barcodes are being used on the same sequencing run. If you are multiplexing 96 samples, you have to be quite strict with the matching compared to if your only had 12 samples. The point is if you allow too many mismatches there could be more than one possible barcode matched.

I would probably be cautious and use a strict mapping. If you relax this, yes you get more reads, but there is more chance of mis-categorising them.
    Last edited by maubp; 07-12-2013, 04:58 AM. Reason: grammar

Comment

My barcodes are 13mers and yes it is multiplexing of 96 samples. Guess I will use strict mapping.

I have another question though. After demultiplexing I got some samples with very few common paired end reads. Instead of aligning these little number of paired reads, is it valid to map all forward and reverse reads like a single end reads and merge their sams later? My main purpose is variant calling.

Comment

What is the edit distance of your barcodes? Meaning, do you need there to be 3 mutations to possible convert 1 to another, or 2 mutations, or 4 mutations, etc?

You can align paired end reads as single end, but why not just align them as paired end?

Comment

I don not have much information on edit distance. But it seems to be around 6-7, and barcodes are 19mers (sorry a typo at the beginning, it isn't 13).

I want to align them as single end, because there are very little number of forward and reverse reads which form pairs (around 30%), so I am loosing majority of reads and hence coverage/depth. But I was not sure whether is it valid way to do so..

Comment

Originally posted by a_mt View Post
            ....there are very little number of forward and reverse reads which form pairs (around 30%), so I am loosing majority of reads and hence coverage/depth......
            Is this because you are de-multiplexing them separately? If so, better don't do it this way.
            A smart tool would use the best match information from either the forward or the reverse read.

Comment

Yes.. I am demultiplexing them separately..

If you don't mind, can you suggest me any such tools you might be familiar with, performance wise... There are lot of such tools (1,2) and I don't want to play with all of them..

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
              • seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
              0 responses