Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNA isolation methods

What approach could I take to isolate the DNA for species have high level of hybridization and polyploidy and they are from Sorbus, Rosaceae, Plant.?
    in order to get highest possible yield (and no fragmentation)
    and then I am going to do RAD-sequencing.
    I mean is it possible to get enough and promissable output from RAD sequencing if I provided not high quality DNA extraction?
    Thank you in advance
    HOda
    Last edited by hodap; 01-27-2017, 04:44 AM. Reason: to explain more

For RAD-Seq and related techniques average fragment length around 10Kb is sufficient. The important quality factor is lack of restriction enzyme inhibitors. You can use a commercial kit (preferably column based) or follow literature such as following:
    http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/1....2015.11513205

Most (maybe all) of current RAD-Seq data analysis software have been developed for processing diploid genomes so you should be aware of the data analysis challenge with polyploid species. This will vary depending on downstream applications such as population studies or mapping.

Comment

Do you often find that restriction enzyme inhibitors are a problem nucacidhunter? We sometimes have samples that drastically don't behave like others in their group and I've been wondering how often that's a problem.

Comment

It is rare and mostly I have seen it when phenol has been used in extraction. I assume those have phenol residues.

Comment

Originally posted by nucacidhunter View Post
          For RAD-Seq and related techniques average fragment length around 10Kb is sufficient. The important quality factor is lack of restriction enzyme inhibitors. You can use a commercial kit (preferably column based) or follow literature such as following:
          http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/1....2015.11513205

Most (maybe all) of current RAD-Seq data analysis software have been developed for processing diploid genomes so you should be aware of the data analysis challenge with polyploid species. This will vary depending on downstream applications such as population studies or mapping.
          Thanks for your reply nucacidhunter I will read the literature it seems great.

Comment

I would expect that Sorbus species would have a fair amount of polysaccharides. I have had good success precipitating plant and animal DNA by CTAB dilution. Here are two articles with protocols:

The second article used the extracts of the CTAB dilution method for PacBio,Illumina mate-pair and RADseq.

One problem I have found with these methods is that you need good amounts of DNA in the lysis buffer in order for efficient precipitation. This can be challenging if you are working with dried leaf tissue. If you get a lot of little crystals floating around after adding the dilution buffer and incubating at 60 celcisu then you are likely going to have very good yields of very clean DNA.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
            • seqadmin
              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
            0 responses