No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bowtie, BWA, strand information

Hello there,

I use Bowtie to map RNA-Seq reads to an algae genome. When I look at the read coverage for + and - strand separately I notice that there is expression on both strands in about the same places. That would be pretty efficient use of the genome. So I was wondering whether anybody has any experience with this and can tell me how reliable the +/- strand information from Bowtie is.

I cross checked my results with BWA, the results are very similar.

There is still the possibility that I mis-interpret the strand information in the sam output files.

Thanks in advance.

re: Bowtie, BWA, strand information

There shouldn't be any problems with the strand information. Have you tried aligning the reads in question with another tool (like BLAT) that lets you see all possible alignments? Might help you see better what is going on.

Comment

Hi Zimbobo

Just to make sure: You do know that Illumina's standard RNA-Seq protocol is not strand specific? (The strand that the aligner reports only informs you which end of the fragment you have sequenced, not, which strand it originally came from.)

Assuming that you used one of the newer strand-specific RNA-Seq protocols: What is the ratio of the expression strength on the sense vs the antisense strand? There have been several recent publications indicating for various species that many loci are transcribed in both directions, with the antisense one (in case of ORFs) maybe having regulatory function. (See e.g. Xu et al., "Bidirectional promoters generate pervasive transcription in yeast", Nature, 2009, PMID 19169243). Maybe you observe something similar with your algae.

Simon

Comment

On a related question. I have ABI SOLiD data where the strandness is kept. If I do map with bowtie, I would have to use the parameter --nrc to make it not map to the reverse complement?

The sequence of the reads should be the sense strand, so I would want to have it mapped to the forward strand, and not reverse complement?

Comment

Originally posted by damiankao View Post
          On a related question. I have ABI SOLiD data where the strandness is kept. If I do map with bowtie, I would have to use the parameter --nrc to make it not map to the reverse complement?

The sequence of the reads should be the sense strand, so I would want to have it mapped to the forward strand, and not reverse complement?
          No. If the read is from a feature on the '+' strand, you want it mapped to the '+' strand, and if it is from the '-' strand, you want it mapped to the '-' strand. Hence, you do want Bowtie to look at the reverse-complement ('-' strand), too, i.e. you should not use the '--nrc' option.

Simon

Comment

I see. So Bowtie will keep strandness and map the read as it is? It won't try to map its reverse complement?

**edit
            I just realised the error in my logic. I guess if it tries to also map the reverse complement of the read, the sam output would have duplicates of every mapping, one on the + stand, and one on the - strand.
            Last edited by damiankao; 04-24-2010, 08:29 AM.

Comment

Of course. The read stays as it is. Th e'--nrc' option is about whether the reference should also be looked at in reverse.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
              • seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
              0 responses