No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DESeq2 with nested design?

Hi all,

Is is possible to use a nested model in DESeq2 or EdgeR??

I have 3 treatments (evolution lines), but each treatment was performed in 4 replicate lines.

My experimental design is as follows:

TmtA x 4 replicate lines X 3 biological replicates sequenced in each replicate line
    TmtB x 4 replicate lines X 3 biological replicates sequenced in each replicate line
    TmtC x 4 replicate lines X 3 biological replicates sequenced in each replicate line

This has given me a total of 36 libraries.

My main interest is the difference between treatments, but I also want to take the independence of these 4 replicate lines into account while keeping them nested within their treatment. Is there an easy way to incorporate this in DESeqDataSeqFromMatrix (or similar, this is what I'm using now)?

Thanks.

Alice

Nesting implies a mixed-effect model, so no, neither DESeq2 nor edgeR will support that. There's some limited support for that in limma through duplicateCorrelation, which you might be able to use.

Having said that, you can simply use the nesting factor (I assume this is the "replicate line") as a blocking factor. In practice, this works quite well (the GLMs allow you to moderate dispersion anyway).

Comment

Thanks for the quick response!

Yes, I think I've tried that using: "design= ~ sel.line + sel.line:block"

However, I'm worried that I'm not correctly setting up my design. I have also tried "design= ~ block + block:sel.line", but that didn't seem right.

The troubling thing is that in both of the designs above, there is virtually no overlap between the significant genes identified in this and an unblocked run (using "design = ~ sel.line"). And when I look at the results of the first two scenarios above, I can see that they are driven by "blocks" more than sel.line (i.e. similar responses in blocks across sel.lines). Does that seem likely? Or am I setting this up wrong?

I've attached my script here in case that's helpful.

Thanks!
      Attached Files

Comment

You probably want either "~block+sel.line" or ~block*sel.line". I suspect the former will work better, but perhaps you have a number of block-specific interactions present. The former is what we would use for human experiments, where the patient to patient variability can be quite high and we don't have access to the within-block factor replicates that you have.

Comment

Ah yes, that has much more overlap with the unblocked design than the other two.

Thanks very much!

Comment

I'd second Devon's suggestion of using "~ block + sel.line". Then use

Code:
            results(dds, contrast=c("sel.line","GroupE","GroupD"))
            etc. to build results tables for comparisons of the three treatments.

Comment

Ah, thank you! I knew I was missing something in the results

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM
              • seqadmin
                The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
                by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
                02-26-2024, 02:07 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, 03-14-2024, 06:13 AM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 03-08-2024, 08:03 AM
              0 responses