No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amilification kit to low amount of Total RNA

Hi,
    i am planning a seqencing to ~5ng of total RNA by using HiSeq2000.
    i wonder which of the amplification kit will be better to use.

SMARTer Ultra Low RNA Kit (Clontech)
    or
    Ovation RNA-seq v2 (Nugen)

Does anyone have any an experience with one of them?
    Recommendations?

Thanks,
    pap

For me the Clontech SMARTer kit worked beautifully. Used 100pg total RNA and generated nice Bioanalyser profiles. Also titrated down from 50 to 1 cell and got good products with all of them. You do have to optimise the cycle number, of course, and at the single cell level (which is way below the spec of the kit) there is some inevitable variation, but its pretty impressive.
    Tried the Nugen kit and didnt really get on with it, but maybe that was just me.

Comment

I've tried both protocols and for me the best one is the NuGEN Ovation kit v2. You need only 500pg RNA to start and in few hours you are able to amplify it. I think it is also more user-friendly compared to Smarter.

Comment

SMARTer all the way for us.
        We had some strange mapping results from the NuGen kit with lots of intronic mappings. In the end we ignored them and the results did correlate well with array data (from the same total RNA), but it's a waste of sequencing capacity. I think there are other posts on here where people mention they had similar problems with intronic reads. I suspect the kit may be very sensitive to any (DNA) contamination due to the use of random priming.

Techniques and protocol discussions on sample preparation, library generation, methods and ideas

The SMARTer kit on the other hand produced very clean data, even from a single cell - so it's very sensitive. The downsides are the protocol isn't as user friendly as NuGen and it's much more expensive. It also requires a bit of expertise to optimise the library prep post amplification. There was also greater disparity between the array data and the SMARTer data, but we expected this from single cell work.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
        • seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
        0 responses