No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• more counts than total library size ?

Hello,
    I have mRNASeq data displaying counts per splice variants of mRNA, and I was just wondering how it is possible that the total number of counts in the sample is much higher than the total number of mapped reads (and of total number of reads generated by Illumina).
    thank you in advance for your answer,
    anna

Hi Anna,

It sounds like some of your reads are mapping to more than one place. This way they would be reported more than once in your counts.

How are you doing the mapping?

-Alice

Comment

Hello Alice,
      The tool BWA is used to map the reads with a maximum set at 2 mismatches in the first 32 bases of the sequences, and a maximum of n mismatches in total.
      In my sample, library size was about 277 million reads and mapped reads were about 192 million (69,5%). But total counts is about 861 million reads.
      So mismatches were the problem? so 192 million are mapped, but it does not mean uniquely mapped ?
      thank you Alice,
      anna

Comment

Hi Anna,

I'm afraid I haven't used bwa, but we see similar results with bowtie2 (although not quite to the same extent as you).

When we recover counts from our sam file (we're using ht-seq-count), the number of non-unique reads is reported, which we interpret as reads that are counted more than once because they are mapping to more than one place.

I would try your alignments allowing for fewer mismatches and see what happens.

Good luck.

Comment

BWA does report secondary alignments. This is likely the cause, you can remove all but the primary alignment with samtools view -F 0x0100.
          Last edited by timydaley; 11-07-2012, 06:42 PM.

Comment

thank you Timydaley

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM
            • seqadmin
              The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
              by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
              02-26-2024, 02:07 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, 03-14-2024, 06:13 AM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, 03-08-2024, 08:03 AM
            0 responses