No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gDNA extraction

Hi all,

I am extracting DNA from human blood cells using Qiagen Flexigene. However, at the end when I resuspend the DNA pellet using Qiagen's FG3 buffer (10mM Tris pH 8.5). The DNA seems do not dissolve well that I found the solution sticky/viscous.

And when I measure the DNA using nanodrop, it gives multiple concentrations upon several measurement. For example, in one measurement it gives 50ng/uL, in another measurement it gives 200ng/uL, several folds increase in concentration!!

Is there any suggestion for improvement and reason for this? Many thanks.

Protocol used:
    Briefly, I used Qiagen Flexigene kit. cells were lysed by Qiagen protease. subsequently after lysis add isopropanol to precipitate DNA. Followed by I wash the DNA with 70% ethanol twice. Then resuspend the pellet in FG3 buffer (10mM Tris pH 8.5) after ethanol dry.

How long do you let the pellet dry? And how much buffer do you use for resuspending? I would suggest close monitoring of the pellet while drying (not enough drying and pellet will not dissolve properly due to ethanol residues, too much drying and pellet will dissolve difficulty). If you are confident that drying time is fine then I would suggest increasing the volume of resuspension. And finally since you use nanodrop for measuring, I think it is OK to "spend" some sample for measuring with serial dilutions: undiluted, 1:10, 1:100 this would give you a much better estimate

Comment

Leave the DNA at 55C for several hours or longer. Or you can leave at 37C overnight. I would add some EDTA in it though (0.1-1mM final concentration) High molecular weight genomic DNA takes time to dissolve. Make sure you do not over-dry the pellet. Different readings by Nanodrop suggests that DNA was not dissolved properly. Also, make sure that you have enough volume to give final concentration less than 200 ng/uL. I found that it's easiest to dissolve gDNA when it's ~100 ng/uL or lower. You can also try higher pH such as pH9, but 8.5 should be sufficient. Hope this helps.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
      • seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
      0 responses