• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• variant annotation for yeast (saccer)

Hi,
    We have done WG hiseq sequencing of yeast strains s. cerevisiae
    and I wanted to ask if anyone knows a program that can annotate
    the variants (i.e. whether they are nonsynonmous or synonymous)
    thanks
    C

you could try ensembl variant effect predictor

Ensembl Fungi is a genome-centric portal for fungal species of scientific interest

Comment

We've used Annovar for S. cerevisiae SNP annotation. Be aware that the SNP density in yeast is fairly high, so you'll find a lot of variants.

Comment

I have used Annovar but it doesn't seem to take into account the strand. Not easy with double stranded data...
        So now, I will try the VariantAnnotation package from R.

Comment

Originally posted by Jane M View Post
          I have used Annovar but it doesn't seem to take into account the strand. Not easy with double stranded data...
          So now, I will try the VariantAnnotation package from R.
          Annovar provides annotation for SNP calls generated by another package (e.g., Samtools), so it's unclear why you think strandedness affects its operation.

Comment

Originally posted by HESmith View Post
            Annovar provides annotation for SNP calls generated by another package (e.g., Samtools), so it's unclear why you think strandedness affects its operation.
            For me, the problem is that I provided the information that I have, wich are from direct and reverse senses.

Code:
            1	12854480	12854480	G	A (+)
            1	86890081	86890081	G	A (-)
            #should be:
            1	12854480	12854480	G	A (+)
            1	86890081	86890081	C	T
            I didn't pay attention to this fact. I didn't understand why I had the warning message according to which my reference alleles were wrong. I finally understood that I had to "transform the reverse strand information into direct strand information": find the reverse complement and probably change the mutation positions for all the information in reverse sense.

Of course, I can use Annovar, but first I have to treat the data. It seems that the R package can handle the reverse information.
            Last edited by Jane M; 01-02-2012, 01:06 AM.

Comment

Christoph and HESmith-- can I ask, what DNA extraction technique do you favor for yeast? I have gotten good results with a very baroque, old school protocol, but I need to do several hundred libraries. I'd like to switch to the kit we used before NGS (the Qiagen PureGene kit) but have been told that the dsDNA content is very low. Any advice for simplifying/speeding up the extractions?
              Thanks!

Comment

We've sequenced only a few yeast strains, and the protocol we used may be even older school than yours (it's the same one I used in grad school, and I graduated during the first Clinton administration...). It is assuredly not one you'd want to use for 100s of samples. Sorry I can't help; please post if you find something that works well.

-Harold

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                  by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                  04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                • seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                0 responses