Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ion torrent error correction

I asked this question on the Ion Community a couple of months ago without an answer or reply so I thought I would try here.

Over the last several years Ion Torrent has improved it chemistry and base-calling algorithm and I'm wondering if error-correction is still advisable for ion data or not?

I'm afraid that if ion has already "corrected" the data in the single processing step if I would be introducing error by correcting it a second time.

There's no problem with error-correcting data multiple times. But if you error-correct it, be sure to use a program that can tolerate indel-type errors.

Comment

Thanks Brian

Are there time when you would not want to error correct?

Comment

You shouldn't error-correct if you are looking for rare variants (much less than the 50% ratio of a normal heterozygous diploid variant), or are doing amplicon sequencing, or are looking at tumor samples, or you have low coverage. Also, error-correction won't help much with platform-specific errors (like being unable to correctly determine the length of a long homopolymer), just with random errors.

If you have a reference, you can map before and after error-correction, and look at the error rates, to make sure error-correction improved things.

Comment

Sooo... how does one evaluate an error rate with a reference? Is it just a comparison of the vcf files?

Also why would it be bad to error correct in those situations, I imagine that it will have to due with "correcting" away an actual variant but a variant would still have to be present at a rate higher than the machine's error rate to be called with an confidance right? i.e. if you have a 1% error rate and 1000x coverage you could not call anything less than 10X right?

Comment

Map to the reference with BBMap, like this:

bbmap.sh ref=reference.fa in=reads.fq out=mapped.sam mhist=mhist.txt ehist=ehist.txt qhist=qhist.txt indelhist=indelhist.txt

BBMap will print useful statistics to the screen:
            Code:
            Read 1 data:            pct reads       num reads       pct bases          num bases

mapped:                  99.6100%            9961        99.6100%            1494150
            unambiguous:             97.8900%            9789        97.8900%            1468350
            ambiguous:                1.7200%             172         1.7200%              25800
            low-Q discards:           0.0000%               0         0.0000%                  0

perfect best site:        1.7500%             175         1.7500%              26250
            semiperfect site:         1.7500%             175         1.7500%              26250

Match Rate:                   NA               NA        61.1359%            1409105
            Error Rate:              96.0596%            9605        38.5408%             888317
            Sub Rate:                87.2787%            8727         2.2734%              52398
            Del Rate:                43.4543%            4345        35.1743%             810722
            Ins Rate:                48.9249%            4892         1.0932%              25197
            N Rate:                  50.2050%            5020         0.3232%               7450
            ....and you can also plot the mhist or other histograms, for more details.

Originally posted by skbrimer View Post
            Also why would it be bad to error correct in those situations, I imagine that it will have to due with "correcting" away an actual variant but a variant would still have to be present at a rate higher than the machine's error rate to be called with an confidance right? i.e. if you have a 1% error rate and 1000x coverage you could not call anything less than 10X right?
            Error correction relies on high depth. With low depth it just doesn't work, and low depth of a variant compared to the reference will lead to that variant getting corrected away.
            Last edited by Brian Bushnell; 11-16-2015, 01:58 PM.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
            • seqadmin
              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
            0 responses