Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• questions about RNA-Seq

Hey guys, I am a little confused about RNA-Seq. Today I mapped the reads in a RNA-Seq expriment onto the genome, and I found that for one gene locus, the read can map to both the forward strand and the reverse complement strand. I am not sure this is the right result since I am familar with the expriment, I hope you can help me to figure this out.

Given a specific mRNA, the RNA-Seq result will give many short reads. These reads can map to the corresponding gene on the genome. I know that the mRNA will be converted to double-stranded cDNAs before sequencing. My question is that, if we map the read to the genome, is that possible that the reads coming from the same single strand mRNA can map to both strand of the genome? In another words, can the sequencing machine know which one of two strands of the cDNA need to be sequenced?

If the machine randomly choose either strand to sequence, after we map the read to the genome. how can we define which strand of the genome is the mRNA template?

Thank you very much

illumina's standard mRNA-seq is *not* strand specific.

check out illumina's 'directional mRNA-seq' protocol -- that protocol preserve strand.

Comment

I think the sequencer read either strand, because adaptors don't look at the orientaiton of DNA fragment during the adaptor ligation process.

Strand specific RNA-Seq protocols may help you to solve the problem.
      High-throughput complementary DNA sequencing (RNA-Seq) is a powerful tool for whole-transcriptome analysis, supplying information about a transcript's expression level and structure. However, it is difficult to determine the polarity of transcripts, and therefore identify which strand is transcribed …

I haven't tried this yet though.

Comment

Thank you very much. I only want to make sure that standard RNA-Seq will map reads to both strand. but also thank you for your new information about the new technology.

Originally posted by pzumbo View Post
        illumina's standard mRNA-seq is *not* strand specific.

check out illumina's 'directional mRNA-seq' protocol -- that protocol preserve strand.
        Originally posted by kenosaki View Post
        I think the sequencer read either strand, because adaptors don't look at the orientaiton of DNA fragment during the adaptor ligation process.

Strand specific RNA-Seq protocols may help you to solve the problem.
        High-throughput complementary DNA sequencing (RNA-Seq) is a powerful tool for whole-transcriptome analysis, supplying information about a transcript's expression level and structure. However, it is difficult to determine the polarity of transcripts, and therefore identify which strand is transcribed …

I haven't tried this yet though.
        Last edited by found; 07-11-2010, 08:36 PM.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
        • seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
        0 responses