Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compare mouse cancer sequence data with COSMIC database

I'm working with whole exome sequence data from a mouse breast cancer model. I've done mutation calling using the GATK best practices workflow (BWA mem (mm10) -> Picard deduplicate -> base quality score recalibration -> Mutect2. Annotated .vcfs with SnpEff). I now wanted to compare my variants to the COSMIC data base to see if the orthologous variants have been found in human, and am having trouble figuring out the most appropriate way to do this.

My first thought was to convert my VCF files to .bed files and use the UCSC liftover tool to convert the files from m10 to hg19. I've however also found a publication in which they perform what I'm looking to do, and in their methods they write:

Variants were compared to known human somatic mutations as available via the COSMIC database38. Briefly, the mouse and human sequences for homologous proteins were pairwise aligned using Clustal Omega39 and the human protein position homolo- gous to the mouse mutation was used to query COSMIC for known missense and nonsense mutations at or surrounding this peptide position. Local conservation was determined after sequence alignment using a 6 10 amino acid residue window surrounding the substituted amino acid.
    I've looked into Clustal Omega, but I'm having trouble understanding how to implement it into this sort of workflow.

I'm wondering if anyone has done this sort of analysis, and what workflow you've had the most success with?

Thanks!

Hi ,
    I looked the Clustal Omega and you can only compared homologous by pair ? and the think is how to automatize it ?

Trist

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
      by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
      04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
    • seqadmin
      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
    0 responses