SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
duplicate reads removal vasvale Bioinformatics 19 01-08-2015 01:59 AM
PCR duplicate removal for whole genome sequencing vs. whole exome sequencing cliff Bioinformatics 1 09-27-2011 08:29 AM
acceptable -c threshold for cuffdiff? ae_ucla RNA Sequencing 3 03-23-2011 06:42 AM
threshold alperyilmaz RNA Sequencing 1 02-09-2010 11:09 AM
Quality score threshold? chris Bioinformatics 8 04-29-2008 01:43 AM

Old 03-16-2010, 05:08 PM   #1
mard

Default threshold for duplicate removal?

I was trying out Picard's MarkDuplicates to remove duplicate reads before SNP identification in our targeted resequencing studies but I discovered that Picard classes non-identical reads that map to the same genomic location (same start and stop) as duplicates and only one read is kept. So this means that only a read from one haplotype can be kept for each location.

We're thinking of testing if it might be better to apply a filter/threshold to keep a certain number of reads that map to the same location instead of discarding all except one. Just wondering if anyone has tried something like this?
mard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 12:57 PM   #2
bioinfosm

Thats an interesting point. I agree with you that only one haplo will be kept in such a filtering. I have been only filtering reads that map to multiple locations; but keep using the duplicates, and guess that brings the PCR-bias in SNP identification (Hets look 30-40% variant, not 50%)
Old 03-21-2010, 04:45 PM   #3
mard

Thanks for the information. I'm pretty new to next-gen analysis so am wondering if it's recommended to remove reads that map to multiple locations before SNP calling?
mard is offline   Reply With Quote