Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RNA-Seq data analysis pipeline

Hello from US. I am going to start working on RNA seq data analysis in soybean. I will appreciate if someone can suggest me a good pipeline to hit count data from raw sequence data (Fastq files).....
    Thanks

This might help.

Background Finding genes that are differentially expressed between conditions is an integral part of understanding the molecular basis of phenotypic variation. In the past decades, DNA microarrays have been used extensively to quantify the abundance of mRNA corresponding to different genes, and more recently high-throughput sequencing of cDNA (RNA-seq) has emerged as a powerful competitor. As the cost of sequencing decreases, it is conceivable that the use of RNA-seq for differential expression analysis will increase rapidly. To exploit the possibilities and address the challenges posed by this relatively new type of data, a number of software packages have been developed especially for differential expression analysis of RNA-seq data. Results We conducted an extensive comparison of eleven methods for differential expression analysis of RNA-seq data. All methods are freely available within the R framework and take as input a matrix of counts, i.e. the number of reads mapping to each genomic feature of interest in each of a number of samples. We evaluate the methods based on both simulated data and real RNA-seq data. Conclusions Very small sample sizes, which are still common in RNA-seq experiments, impose problems for all evaluated methods and any results obtained under such conditions should be interpreted with caution. For larger sample sizes, the methods combining a variance-stabilizing transformation with the ‘limma’ method for differential expression analysis perform well under many different conditions, as does the nonparametric SAMseq method.

A comparison of methods for differential expression analysis of RNA-seq data
    Charlotte Soneson1* and Mauro Delorenzi1,2

Comment

If you are looking for a practical guidebook then: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Next_Ge..._%28NGS%29/RNA or http://www.nature.com/nprot/journal/....2012.016.html

Comment

Thanks for suggesting the references............

Comment

Tophat followed by HTSeq-count will also work fine. The outcome of HTSeq-count is a list of genes with the number of reads mapped to each of them

Comment

Thanks, what about using bowtie instead of top hat as I am only concerned about hit count data for particular gene not the splice variants.
            your suggestions are much appreciated
            Thanks

Comment

With RNA-seq you expect to find your reads on the exons of a gene. So you need to deal with the different splice variants anyway. Tophat splits the read in segments to check if for example the first half of the read maps to exon A and the second half to exon B.
              Bowtie does just do the mapping to the reference genome.
              After the alignment you can use HTSeq-count to count the reads that are located on particular genes.

Comment

Thanks........

Comment

Hello all guys,

I just start making RNA-seq data analysis about borrelia. Now I want to find specific gene transcription between different conditions. How to value it? use reads count or RPKM? Which is better? which kind of software is simple ans easy to use? Can I use artemis to do with it?
                  Thank you so much!

Comment

Originally posted by geyihe View Post
                    Hello all guys,

I just start making RNA-seq data analysis about borrelia. Now I want to find specific gene transcription between different conditions. How to value it? use reads count or RPKM? Which is better? which kind of software is simple ans easy to use? Can I use artemis to do with it?
                    Thank you so much!
                    DESeq (or DESeq2), edgeR, limma (look at the voom function), etc. I would recommend raw counts rather than rpkm.

Comment

Originally posted by preet View Post
                      Hello from US. I am going to start working on RNA seq data analysis in soybean. I will appreciate if someone can suggest me a good pipeline to hit count data from raw sequence data (Fastq files).....
                      Thanks
                      Hi Preet, you may consider using the Rsubread+limma/edgeR pipeline. You may use the Rsubread package to align the reads (align function) and summarize mapped reads to genes (featureCounts function), and then use limma to perform differential expression analysis.

Cheers,
                      Wei

Comment

geyihe, I'm associated with a lab that's working on Borrelia -- please get in touch if you get a chance.

Comment

If you are looking for differential expression between two or more groups, don't forget you NEED biological replicates.

Comment

rna-seq pipeline

Hi I am a rookie bioinformatics who will process the rna-seq from Ion-proton(Single-ended).
                            The pipeline for processing which I know until now is
                            Bowtie, Tophat, Cufflinks, and cummeRbund for RNA-seq alignment, assembly, DE analysis, and .visualization.
                            Any other options?
                            Or What is this advantage or disadvantage of this pipeline?
                            Thank you!
                            Last edited by super0925; 02-14-2014, 07:39 AM.

Comment

I found this guide to be very useful in understanding RNA-Seq experiment design and analysis: http://rnaseq.uoregon.edu/index.html

I hope you the best.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                              • seqadmin
                                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                              0 responses