No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• quality check 1 ng DNA

Hi everybody
    I am willing to sequence with MiSeq using a Nextera XT library starting with very challenging samples of not cultivable bacteria.

I am now checking the quality of my DNA after extraction (I can get a maximum of 16 ul of extract only).

I managed to quantify it with a high sensitivity kit (QBit measurement) and I currently know I have 1 ng DNA.

Does anybody know any efficient way to visualise 1 ng of DNA on gel?
    I tried the classical protocol with 1% agarose and ethidium bromide and of course I couldn't see anything...

Any insight on how to check purity and fragmentation on such small DNA quantities?

Thanks a lot
    Chiara

You can use Bioanlyser high sensitivity DNA Chip to visualize up to 12Kb and over (minimum 5pg) or gDNA ScreenTape up to 50kb (minimum 1ng). Either of these will indicate the size range suitable for XT library prep. If you do not have access to any, try library prep without quality check just by using correct quantity.

Comment

Hi Chiara,
      it seems SybrGold is sensitive down to 25 pg of DNA, see https://www.thermofisher.com/gr/en/h...na-stains.html
      According to this page, Picogreen is equally sensitive.
      I imagine the dye used for the Qubit assays is equally sensitive.
      We have Picogreen in the lab, we could try it.
      Jon

Comment

If agarose gel electrophoresis is your only option for fragment size distribution, GelStar is also very sensitive and might be more suitable than Sybr Gold for using in the gel itself.

Gelstar use with a DarkReader:
        Detect less than 100 pg of DNA Using a unique combination of filters, the Dark Reader is more sensitive than a UV transilluminator for the detection of many stains. For example, using SYBR Gold stain it is possible to see, by eye, less than 100 pg of DNA. NEW! Our own Viridi DNA stains: Easy … DNA Gels Read More »

I tried GelStar about 6 years ago with a free trial I got and it worked very well in my hands.

Comment

Glad to see I have so many different options to check!

Thanks everybody
          I'll keep you updated for the results!

Chiara

Comment

Originally posted by ATϟGC View Post
            If agarose gel electrophoresis is your only option for fragment size distribution, GelStar is also very sensitive and might be more suitable than Sybr Gold for using in the gel itself.

Gelstar use with a DarkReader:
            Detect less than 100 pg of DNA Using a unique combination of filters, the Dark Reader is more sensitive than a UV transilluminator for the detection of many stains. For example, using SYBR Gold stain it is possible to see, by eye, less than 100 pg of DNA. NEW! Our own Viridi DNA stains: Easy … DNA Gels Read More »

I tried GelStar about 6 years ago with a free trial I got and it worked very well in my hands.
            Would anyone happen to have a pdf of this:
            GelStar nucleic acid gel stain: high sensitivity detection in gels.
            White HW1, Vartak NB, Burland TG, Curtis FP, Kusukawa N. Biotechniques. 1999 May;26(5):984-8.

Could PAGE gels potentially be more sensitive? Do they work with the same stains as agarose gels?

On a side note, I had a look at the gel images comparing GelStar with EthBr at Lonza, and if you look carefully you will see that they have in fact used the same image for both dyes. The Ethidium Bromide image is identical, just dimmed a little bit. You would think they could take the trouble to get some real images...

Jon

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
            • seqadmin
              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
            0 responses