Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trimmomatic no output files

I'm new to Trimmomatic and am having trouble producing the 4 output files from a PE trim. I am running Trimmomatic 0.32 in OSX. When I issue the following command in terminal:

jlg:~ jgregg$ java -jar /Applications/Trimmomatic/Trimmomatic-0.32/trimmomatic-0.32.jar PE -threads 2 -phred33 -trimlog /Users/jgregg/Documents/ICH_Genomics/IchPE76/PE76_filtered_reads/Process_Testing/TrimLog235 /Users/jgregg/Documents/ICH_Genomics/IchPE76/PE76_filtered_reads/Process_Testing/Test_R1.fq.gz /Users/jgregg/Documents/ICH_Genomics/IchPE76/PE76_filtered_reads/Process_Testing/Test_R2.fq.gz -baseout /Users/jgregg/Documents/ICH_Genomics/IchPE76/PE76_filtered_reads/Process_Testing/TestOUT_IA235.fq.gz ILLUMINACLIP: /Users/jgregg/Documents/ICH_Genomics/IchPE76/PE76_filtered_reads/Process_Testing/Trimmo_IA235.fa:2:30:10 LEADING:3 TRAILING:3 SLIDINGWINDOW:4:15 MINLEN:37

This runs for a few minutes and then I get:

Input Read Pairs: 17222594 Both Surviving: 13577333 (78.83%) Forward Only Surviving: 3273911 (19.01%) Reverse Only Surviving: 149140 (0.87%) Dropped: 222210 (1.29%)

This looks right, but the only files that are produced are the TrimLog file, and two files (TestOUT_IA235.fq.gz and Trimmo_IA235.fa/2/30/10) that contain sequences that have adapters. These appear to be the half of the sequence pairs that should have been discareded. Any help that people can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Jake

Your command looks correct, and the output that trimmomatic is reporting looks sort of right, but I have not run Trimmomatic on OSX or used v.032.

Have you tried running it without -baseout, and just specifying the 4 output file names?

Does trimmomatic correctly recognise your parameters, what output do you get when trimmomatic starts running?

Comment

As mastal suggested, I would try specifying output files, after your inputs, e.g.

trimmomatic-0.32.jar PE <options> .../Test_R1.fq.gz .../Test_R1.fq.gz R1.paired.fq R2.paired.fq R1.unpaired.gq R2.unpaired.fq ...

Comment

the usual order of specifying the 4 output files for trimmomatic is:

R1_P.fq R1_U.fq R2_P.fq R2_U.fq

Comment

You're right, my mistake.
          Last edited by Birdman; 02-11-2014, 05:23 AM.

Comment

Hi,

This one is kinda embarrassing - the -baseout flag actually doesn't work the way the help suggests it should in all cases.

The 'option' arguments i.e those with a "-" must currently come before the non-option arguments, such as the old style list of files for input/output and the trimming steps.

Also, you have a space between the ILLUMINACLIP and the adapter file name, which will also cause problems.

Tony.

Comment

Thanks all,

Specifying the files and removing space got everything working, and it all looks right.

I do have one other question. When specifying the /2 sequence for palindrome mode, should you use the reverse complement of the expected adapter. I ask because FastQC presents the reverse compliment as an over-represented sequence in my R2 reads.

Thanks Again,

Jake

Comment

Originally posted by jgregg View Post
                Thanks all,

Specifying the files and removing space got everything working, and it all looks right.
                OK. I'll get a fix out for this as soon as i can spare some time.

Originally posted by jgregg View Post
                I do have one other question. When specifying the /2 sequence for palindrome mode, should you use the reverse complement of the expected adapter. I ask because FastQC presents the reverse compliment as an over-represented sequence in my R2 reads.
                With read-through (due to short insert fragments), the forward adapter shows up in reverse complement in the reverse read, and vice versa. However, trimmomatic still expects it to be named as the forward adapter (with the additional T included, which matches the A added during adapter ligation). In any case, unless you have special library preps, one of the included adapter files should do the job.

Tony.

Comment

Tony,

Thanks so much, and thanks for Trimmomatic. I've read several post tonight and don't envy you, explaining the palindrome trimming. I think that I have it figured out now. Running some test to be sure.

Thanks again.

Jake

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                    Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                    by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                    04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                  • seqadmin
                    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post seqadmin  
                  Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                  0 responses