SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MiSeq gDNA reads still fail "Kmer content" and "per base seq content" after trimming" ysnapus Illumina/Solexa 4 11-12-2014 07:25 AM
DEXSeq error in estimateDispersions: match.arg(start.method, c("log(y)", "mean")) fpadilla Bioinformatics 14 07-03-2013 02:11 PM
The position file formats ".clocs" and "_pos.txt"? Ist there any difference? elgor Illumina/Solexa 0 06-27-2011 07:55 AM
"Systems biology and administration" & "Genome generation: no engineering allowed" seb567 Bioinformatics 0 05-25-2010 12:19 PM
Korean "Hanwoo" bovine genome and whole SNPs announced CLC bio Vendor Forum 0 01-28-2010 12:53 PM

Old 05-27-2015, 06:07 AM   #1
Rhewter

Default SNPs that are at least "N" bp away from each other

Hello,

I got a set of SNPs in a vcf file and would like to discard SNPs many nearby. The idea is to take only SNPs that are at least 200 bp away from each other. How can I do this?

Thanks in advance.
Rhewter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 06:13 AM   #2
dpryan
Devon Ryan

You could do this with awk, assuming the VCF file is sorted in a useful way. The general idea is to keep track of two variables: the chromosome of the last entry and the position of the last entry. If the chromosome of an entry and the previous are different or their distances are above 200bp then print $0 (the variables should be updated in any case). Have a go at writing such a script in awk (or python, or perl, or whatever else you know) and post a question when you run into problems.
dpryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 06:31 AM   #3
Rhewter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpryan View Post
You could do this with awk, assuming the VCF file is sorted in a useful way. The general idea is to keep track of two variables: the chromosome of the last entry and the position of the last entry. If the chromosome of an entry and the previous are different or their distances are above 200bp then print $0 (the variables should be updated in any case). Have a go at writing such a script in awk (or python, or perl, or whatever else you know) and post a question when you run into problems.
Hi...

Thank you for your answer. I thought that possibility before but would like to know whether there was a ready-made option. But I think your suggestion is the best option.

Thank you!
Old 05-27-2015, 08:42 AM   #4
SNPsaurus
Registered Vendor

vcftools has a --thin option

--thin <int>

Thin sites so that no two sites are within the specified distance from one another.
Old 05-27-2015, 09:16 AM   #5
Rhewter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNPsaurus View Post
vcftools has a --thin option

--thin <int>

Thin sites so that no two sites are within the specified distance from one another.

Hi SNPsaurus,

I tried using this function but it only generates a log file (with the number of unique variants that range) and not a new VCF. Is that so?

Thank you for your answer!
Old 05-27-2015, 09:17 AM   #6
SNPsaurus
Registered Vendor

I think you need to add the --recode option, which tells vcftools to actually make a new vcf based on the filtering.
Old 05-27-2015, 09:21 AM   #7
Rhewter

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNPsaurus View Post
I think you need to add the --recode option, which tells vcftools to actually make a new vcf based on the filtering.

It really is that. Thank you very much once again.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:50 PM   #8
[email protected]

Hi SNPsaurus,
I have applied various filters from VCFfilter tool i.e. DP>10, AF>0.1 etc.
This filter information is shown in top of the VCF file also. However, when I used to work with VCFtools for minimum SNPs distance (--Thin 10000) parametere, it does not show the information in vcf file.
Can you make me understand regarding this?

Regards
Prakash Thakor
drpbt1692@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote