Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 150bp-1.3kb insert size PE on HiSeq

I have a library that I am running on a HiSeq2000 for PE-100 reads. The fragment sizes range from 150bp to 1.3kb. I can't do much about this range since we are PCR capturing unknown regions using inverse PCR. The majority of the fragments sit in the 500bp range, but will having this wide of a range affect clustering/sequence quality/number of reads? Will there be a bais away from the larger fragments?

Thanks.

Yes, there will be a bias against the larger fragments and a complete absence above a certain size (perhaps 800bp? check with Illumina). Unless the ends of your amplicons need to be matched, you could size-select, shear, and construct libraries from the larger fragments (analogous to sample prep from chromatin IPs).

Comment

Our FAS mentioned off-hand that she had made and sequenced 1.5 kb Illumina PE libraries. Anyone else doing that?

Our first mate end library made for an Illumina sequencer gave much shorter pair distances than expected. 1.4 kb instead of the expect 7 kb. (Needed to do a size selection prior to circularization, I suspect.) Nevertheless adding these reads to normal 400 bp PE reads dramatically improved a de novo fungal genome assembly. If we could get 1.5 kb PE reads -- that would be a game changer for us. I had just assumed it was impossible, though.

--
      Phillip

Comment

We've sequenced a few libraries w/ 600bp inserts, and all of the metrics (signal intensities, %PF, S/N, Q scores, error rates, etc) were significantly worse than standard 200bp libraries. Also, we clustered at lower densities (~400K) per Illumina's recommendation. We used v3 kits but an earlier version of RTA (whatever was current 6-8 months ago); perhaps the latest update is better suited to larger libraries.

Comment

It generally works as but clustering is even more erratic that typical and max densities of 600k are the best you might see. I would worry about such a mixed population and the larger fragments being out competed.

Comment

Great - all responses have been helpful. Thanks.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
            • seqadmin
              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
            0 responses