No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roche 454 amplicon alignment by BWA-SW

Hi,
    I am using BWA-SW for the alignment of 454 amplicons and later detection of variants. When I do my proof of concept, I find that if the variant is in 2nd bp 3' or 5', BWA-SW does't map 1st and 2nd bases so variant caller doesn't find the variant.

Could anyone help me with the parameters should I use? By the moment I am using this command:

./bwa bwasw -a 1 -b 3 -q 3 -r 1 -d 0 ${ref} $files/file.fq > ${alignments}/file.sam

Thank you very much in advance! Any hint will be usefull!

BWA is a "local" aligner. If you require that the WHOLE query sequence must be included in the alignment, you need a "glocal" aligner (global in query, local in target). You can use glsearch36 from the FASTA36 package, or exonerate with the correct --model option.

Comment

Use bwa-mem. It deals with the problem in a better way.

Comment

Thank you very much! I will try both options

Comment

FYI - lh3 is the author of bwa-mem, but he seems to know what he is doing ;-)

I think bwa-mem still focuses on local alignment, but if it can find a glocal alignment that is nearly as good (high scoring) as the local alignment, it will report that instead.

Comment

Brilliant! Thank you so much!

bwa mem finds mismatches at de begining of the amplicon reads!

glsearch36 can help me for other things too

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
              by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
              04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
            • seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
            0 responses