No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mtDNA sequencing using MiSeq

Hi,

I am currently planning to sequence hundreds of human mtDNA using the MiSeq platform. I have tried to use DesignStudio and SureDesign to design primers, however they both fail and i cant find any commercial kits.

I guess there is huge problems with pseudogenes and that is why nobody have developed a kit?

Is there a way to do this on a MiSeq?

Any input is very much appreciated. Thanks.

Cheers,
    Munch

I doubt that there are no kits...

very quick google search: http://tools.invitrogen.com/content/...cms_053271.pdf

Comment

Thanks for reply, but the mitoSEQr is for Sanger sequencing I am already using Sanger sequencing for mtDNA, but it is very time consuming and expensive.

What i need is a protocol or a kit for sequencing using MiSeq.

Comment

Have you tried contacting an Illumina rep? If they don't have a kit, they can often refer you to a field scientist who can help you develop a method.

Comment

The standard Illumina Nextera/XT and TruSeq kits will work with mitochondrial DNA... or are you looking for a kit isolate the mtDNA before library preparation?

Comment

mtDNA

Anyone have good experience with mtDNA isolation kits or is the tried and true ultracentrifugation method the best?

Here are the kits I've heard about:

- Genohub

Comment

Hi,
              NEB's microbial enrichment kit also enriches for organeller DNA enrichment since methylation density of mito DNA is very low, if exists. You may want to give a try.
              Facilitates the enrichment or exclusion of microbial DNA from samples containing methylated host DNA (including human).

I am assuming that this might be better approach than PCR strategy especially if you are looking for deletions since it won't introduce amplification bias. Qiagen also has an amplification based mito kit. Hope this helps. I do not know how the enfichment efficiency for each method, but again NEB's method will not introduce random mutations or amplification bias for shorter melecules.

Comment

mtDNA methylation and isolation

mtDNA is methylated, but the density may be low as you suggest. Here is a paper that describes it: DNA methyltransferase 1, cytosine methylation, and cytosine hydroxymethylation in mammalian mitochondria

The enrichment kit could deplete methylated DNA, so I'd be reluctant to use it. The other two kits from Biovision and Abcam look like they are based on isolation procedures. I'm sure they're not as clean as ultra high speed centrifugation, but I can afford a little genomic DNA contamination.

- Genohub

Comment

Munch, my academic lab is Illumina sequencing human tumor mtDNA as two overlapping amplicons. Send me an e-mail at eajohnsn at uoregon.edu to remind me to ask my student on Monday about it and I'll send you the info.
                  Providing nextRAD genotyping and PacBio sequencing services. http://snpsaurus.com

Comment

Originally posted by SNPsaurus View Post
                    Munch, my academic lab is Illumina sequencing human tumor mtDNA as two overlapping amplicons. Send me an e-mail at eajohnsn at uoregon.edu to remind me to ask my student on Monday about it and I'll send you the info.

I guess, more specifically, you use long range PCR to amplify the the mtDNA genome (in two fragments) and then you use Nextera tagmentation to sequence these two fragments, and re-assemble into a consensus?
                    Last edited by JackieBadger; 09-22-2013, 06:35 PM.

Comment

Maybe I misunderstood the original question! But here's what we do, which is based on published protocols. We have two primer pairs, and as two separate PCR reactions (is that the part that sounded weird since you can't overlap PCR amplicons in a single reaction?) amplify the mt genome. One amplicon is from 700 to 8200, the other from 7600 to 1200. We then Nextera tagment and sequence.

We do have pretty uneven coverage (ranging from 130k reads to 12k reads, depending on the library):
                      Code:
                      human_mito	pos 8136	
                      		T	130321	118342	26707	22080	15382	15877	24584	12102	
                      		A									
                      		C									
                      		G
                      edit: looks like you answered your original query. Right, although just align rather than assemble. So no haplotype. But I think this was what Munch was trying to do as well.
                      Last edited by SNPsaurus; 09-22-2013, 06:42 PM.
                      Providing nextRAD genotyping and PacBio sequencing services. http://snpsaurus.com

Comment

Yup we have just developed primers for ~30 species to do this also. We can pool one individual from say around 10 distantly related species in to one indexing pool, and sequence maybe around ten pools. So in one run we should get 100 full length mtDNA genomes.

Comment

Qiagen's GeneRead can be used to amplify either all exons or the whole mitochondria in smaller amplicons. The two large amplicons yield more errors from the long PCR and can confound heteroplasmy measurements.

QIAGEN delivers Sample to Insights solutions that enable customers to unlock insights from the building blocks of life - DNA, RNA and proteins.

Comment

Illumina has a protocol too:

This protocol explains how to prepare, sequence, and analyze the entire human
                            mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) genome from clean, intact DNA samples. During sample
                            preparation, the mtDNA genome is amplified in two PCRs to generate two long fragments
                            spanning the entire human mitochondrial genome (16,569 bp). The amplicons are quantified
                            and pooled before library preparation. Subsequent library sequencing on the MiSeq is
                            followed by data analysis with MiSeq Reporter and variant calling with the mtDNA
                            Analysis Tool.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                            • seqadmin
                              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                            0 responses
                            0 likes
                            Last Post seqadmin  
                            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                            0 responses