No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VCF file comparison

Hi,
    I am trying to compare two VCF files (one created using bcftools and one created using freebayes. If you have an opinion on which is better that would be nice too) using vcf-compare. I sorted them (though i'm not sure if this was necessary) and compressed using bgzip. When I use vcf-compare i get the following error:

The version "4.2" not supported, assuming VCFv4.1
    Warning: Read 0 lines from a.vcf.gz, the tabix index may be broken.
    Warning: Read 0 lines from b.vcf.gz, the tabix index may be broken.

Any idea on how to solve this? I tried finding a way to get v4.1 VCF files but couldn't.

Thanks for the help!

Have you indexed them with tabix (as the error is indicating above)?

Comment

You should absolutely be using rtg vcfeval to perform the comparison, as it correctly handles the differences in variant representation that different callers produce. Other comparison tools do not handle these differences. vcfeval is part of RTG Tools (free for anyone) and RTG Core (free for non-commercial use, and includes sophisticated variant calling you may also want to use).
      Len Trigg, Ph.D.
      Real Time Genomics
      www.realtimegenomics.com

Comment

Geno, I did index them with Tabix although now that I think of it I didn't direct the output anywhere... Silly me. I'm guessing that should fix it although I cant check right now...
        Len, thanks for the tip. I'll definitely try it out.

Thanks!

Comment

Hi again. So I did index them correctly (I think). A new tbi file (a.vcf.gz.tbi) was created for each VCF. Still not sure why it's not working...

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
            by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
            04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
          • seqadmin
            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, Today, 11:49 AM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 08:47 AM
          0 responses