Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• formatdb works but makeblastdb doesn't (BLAST)

Dear all,

i am trying to format the non-redundant fasta database (nr) downloaded from the NCBI repository. I have initially formatted it with the program formatdb from blast 2.2.25 that i had installed on my machine and it worked fine
    Code:
    formatdb -p T -o T -i nr
    However i have just upgraded to the latest blast 2.2.29+ version and i read that formatdb should no longer be used but makeblastdb should be used instead. So i tried to format the database again
    Code:
     makeblastdb -in nr -dbtype prot
    but i get the following error:
    Error: (1431.1) FASTA-Reader: Warning: FASTA-Reader: Ignoring FASTA modifier(s) found because the input was not expected to have any.

I don't quite get the error and what could that be. Does anybody have any idea? Thanks

Why are you reformatting nr when you can get the pre-built indexes from: ftp://ftp.ncbi.nih.gov/blast/db/

Comment

While I agree with GenoMax's comment, I think that you can find the line causing the error at line #1431 of your input file. Also I find it interesting that your input file 'nr' does not have an extension -- are you sure this is correct?

Comment

Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
        Why are you reformatting nr when you can get the pre-built indexes from: ftp://ftp.ncbi.nih.gov/blast/db/
        I am new to it and that's how i thought it was done. As simple as that. So basically all the files in the main db directory are equivalent to the ones that i create during the formatting? Is that correct? I simply need to download all those nr.* and place them in my db directory?

Also I find it interesting that your input file 'nr' does not have an extension -- are you sure this is correct?
        I simply downloaded the nr.gz file from the db/FASTA folder and unzipped it from the terminal using gzip. It had no extension and i used it as it was. And it worked with formatdb. Do you have any idea why it might be working with one and not the other if there is an error at that line? (will check tomorrow at work)

Comment

Originally posted by cdes79 View Post
          I am new to it and that's how i thought it was done. As simple as that. So basically all the files in the main db directory are equivalent to the ones that i create during the formatting? Is that correct? I simply need to download all those nr.* and place them in my db directory?
          That is correct. Make sure you download all the nr* files. Be aware that this would be a large download and depending on bandwidth available could take some time.

Comment

That is correct. Make sure you download all the nr* files. Be aware that this would be a large download and depending on bandwidth available could take some time.
            Thanks very much. FYI i just figured that i can run the blast remotely on the ncbi server using the flag -remote. That doesn't require to download any databases as well as i can do it on my sloppy machine. :-)

Best,
            Christian

Comment

However i have just upgraded to the latest blast 2.2.29+ version and ... i get the following error:
              Error: (1431.1) FASTA-Reader: Warning: FASTA-Reader: Ignoring FASTA modifier(s) found because the input was not expected to have any.

I don't quite get the error and what could that be. Does anybody have any idea? Thanks
              I just hit what is probably the same issue, and believe this is a new bug in BLAST+ 2.2.29 (the older versions I tested were fine) when FASTA query files which contain [key=value] tags in their description/title line: http://blastedbio.blogspot.co.uk/201...modifiers.html

I have reported this to the NCBI by email.

Comment

Thanks very much. FYI i just figured that i can run the blast remotely on the ncbi server using the flag -remote. That doesn't require to download any databases as well as i can do it on my sloppy machine. :-)

Best,
                Christian
                Hi, just a question, how many transcripts did you search using -remote? how is the speed? thanks.
                Last edited by shangzhong0619; 05-26-2014, 02:04 AM.

Comment

Hello, GenoMax, I have a question, there are 16 nr files in the ftp, can I use cat to concatenate the files with the same extension in those 16 folders and finally get only one big database? I don't want to blast 16 times for searching only one query.

Comment

Originally posted by shangzhong0619 View Post
                    Hello, GenoMax, I have a question, there are 16 nr files in the ftp, can I use cat to concatenate the files with the same extension in those 16 folders and finally get only one big database? I don't want to blast 16 times for searching only one query.
                    nr* files you download from NCBI are already formatted appropriately. You should only gunzip/untar them (make sure all the files are in the same folder) but leave them alone otherwise.

Comment

In case it helps anyone, I ran into this same issue and found this blogger who states that the error messages are irrelevant:

I recently got a weird error/warning message (repeated) in my BLAST+ stderr output, Error: (1431.1) FASTA-Reader: Warning: FASTA-Reader: ...

Comment

Originally posted by rcrystal View Post
                        In case it helps anyone, I ran into this same issue and found this blogger who states that the error messages are irrelevant:

http://blastedbio.blogspot.com/2014/...modifiers.html
                        I posted a link to this earlier in the thread, but I'm glad it was useful

Comment

Thanks maubp! I see it now, I'm sorry I missed it before!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                          • seqadmin
                            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                          0 responses
                          0 likes
                          Last Post seqadmin  
                          Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                          0 responses