• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• igv error with thophat2

Hi everybody,

I am running the tophat2 command like that:
    Code:
    tophat2  -p 4 -r 500 -o OUT_DIR chromosome.MT.fa R1.fastq R2.fastq
    After indexing the fastA file with bowtie2.
    It all runs perfectly well and I have now a bam file from the calculations as well as the junctions and indel files.

short background information:
    To imitate a circular genome of the mitochondria, I added 500 bases at the end.
    With that I can try to identify PE reads which mapped at the "end" of the circular genome, where the second of the pair is mapped at the "beginning" of the chromosome.

I wanted to upload the bam file onto igv, but each time I get an error message.

Code:
    INFO [2012-09-24 13:48:04,624]  [DirectoryManager.java:149] [main]  IGV Directory: /home/USER/igv
    INFO [2012-09-24 13:48:04,630]  [Main.java:77] [main]  Startup  IGV Version 2.1.24 (2563)09/13/2012 09:23 AM
    Fetching user directory... INFO [2012-09-24 13:48:04,798]  [Main.java:78] [main]  Default User Directory: /home/USER
    INFO [2012-09-24 13:48:07,106]  [GenomeManager.java:101] [main]  Loading genome: genomes/Mus_musculus.MT.500add.fa
    INFO [2012-09-24 13:48:07,116]  [GenomeManager.java:181] [main]  Genome loaded.  id= Mus_musculus.MT.500add.fa
    INFO [2012-09-24 13:48:07,311]  [CommandListener.java:78] [Thread-6]  Listening on port 60151
    INFO [2012-09-24 13:48:28,107]  [IGV.java:1455] [pool-1-thread-1]  Loading1 resources.
    INFO [2012-09-24 13:49:05,210]  [IGV.java:1455] [pool-1-thread-3]  Loading1 resources.
    ERROR [2012-09-24 13:49:05,747]  [CachingQueryReader.java:392] [pool-1-thread-4]  Error loading alignment data
    java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException
            at org.broad.igv.feature.genome.SequenceHelper.getSequence(SequenceHelper.java:164)
            at org.broad.igv.feature.genome.GenomeImpl.getSequence(GenomeImpl.java:356)
            at org.broad.igv.sam.BisulfiteCounts.incrementCounts(BisulfiteCounts.java:51)
            at org.broad.igv.sam.BaseAlignmentCounts.incCounts(BaseAlignmentCounts.java:74)
            at org.broad.igv.sam.CachingQueryReader$AlignmentTile.addRecord(CachingQueryReader.java:602)
            at org.broad.igv.sam.CachingQueryReader.loadTiles(CachingQueryReader.java:327)
            at org.broad.igv.sam.CachingQueryReader.getTiles(CachingQueryReader.java:218)
            at org.broad.igv.sam.CachingQueryReader.query(CachingQueryReader.java:140)
            at org.broad.igv.sam.AlignmentDataManager$2.run(AlignmentDataManager.java:319)
            at org.broad.igv.util.LongRunningTask.call(LongRunningTask.java:54)
            at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(FutureTask.java:334)
            at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:166)
            at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1110)
            at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:603)
            at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:679)
    Has anyone encountered this problem too?

What is the meaning of it?

I have the feeling, that this has something to do with the additional 500 bases at the end, so that some of the reads map as an overhang of the circular genome.
    Is there a way to find this kind of mapping?

I would appreciate ant help or ideas.

Assa
    Last edited by frymor; 09-24-2012, 05:08 AM. Reason: new information. I ran the same tophat command with the MT genome w.o. the additional 500 bases and it works fine on igv

did you indexed your genome before

samtools index accepted_hits.bam

Comment

yes I did.
      I even ran samtools flagstat on the bam file to see if the bam file is corrupt.

Comment

For the reference in IGV you have to use the same sequence you used for the alignment (so the sequence with the additionnal 500 bases)

Comment

Originally posted by NicoBxl View Post
          For the reference in IGV you have to use the same sequence you used for the alignment (so the sequence with the additionnal 500 bases)
          That I did as well.

Comment

Hi, this looks like an IGV bug (obviously). I am trying to reproduce it, in the meantime could you try the "early access" version to see if the bug is fixed there, if not please send or post the stack-trace from that version. You can download this version from:

Sorry for the difficulties.

-- Jim

Comment

unfortunately it didn't help.

I think it has something to do with the reference genome I am using. I have a lot (and I mean A LOT) of mismatches, almost every third base is a mismatch.

If I upload the 'real' mitochondrial genome it doesn't trouble me. I can upload the files and it also looks normal.
              So there is some kind of a problem with the addition of the 500 bases from the beginning of the mitochondrial sequence to the end of this same one. Even though it was this genome modified genome I applied tophat2 to.

The new version of igv didn't help much. It shows the same error massage.

Comment

Hi,

Could you contact us at [email protected]? We can arrange to maybe transfer your reference genome and a test file.

Also, the new early access version of IGV should not return the same stack trace, some of the classes referenced in the previous stack trace don't even exist. Seeing the stacktrace from the "early access" version might be enough to find the problem.

Jim

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                  by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                  04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                • seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                0 responses