No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single or Dual indices?

Hi all,
    I am new to Illumina and am preparing a library of 24 samples with the Nextera XT. I plan on runing these samples on the MiSeq. I've read a couple threads where people mention single or dual indices such as http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14676.
    Why you would do one over the other? Does it make a difference?
    Thanks!

Nextera XT uses a dual index strategy which allows 24 unique barcodes using only 10 oligos (4 of Index 1 and 6 of Index 2) instead of 24 unique oligos for each barcode. You can mix and match dual and single indexed libraries in a sequencing run, but not for the sample prep. For Nextera you must use both index oligos for your sample preparation.

Comment

Just to be clear, if you use a Nextera kit, you get dual-indexed amplicons. You don't have to sequence both indexes (or any of them), but they are there, none the less.

Since you are doing a MiSeq run, I would suggest running dual indexing since that is built into the MiSeq reagents, anyway. But for 24 indexes, you would have to deploy duals anyway, because the standard Nextera kit has a maximum of 12 single indexes. Of course you could "go rogue" and synthesize your own step-out primers to get you up to 24 single indexes. But the cheap Nextera adapter kit offers 24 index pairs, so why look further?

--
      Phillip

Comment

Thanks everyone! It's good to know that its recommended to use dual indexes for the MiSeq and Nextera XT. I guess I didn't make it clear that I was wondering why in the general sense would you do single vs. dual indexing. What are the benefits/problems of one index vs. two?

Comment

Dual costs you an extra 8 cycles + some dark cycles. But MiSeq reagent kits are rated for how many sequence (insert) sequence bases you read, with enough extra so that you can do all the extra cycles required for dual indexing.

So, the only reasons I can think of to choose single index, would be if you really wanted your reads to be a few bases longer or you could not afford the extra hour or two required to run the second index.

--
          Phillip

Comment

Off-hand does anyone know if you can specify reading only the second index "i5" and not the first "i7"?

Comment

Originally posted by austinso View Post
              Off-hand does anyone know if you can specify reading only the second index "i5" and not the first "i7"?
              It might take some hacking of the recipes to get that to work. A simpler workaround would be to use the P5 primer as the index 1 primer and then skip the "index2" read. You will have to burn an extra 7 cycles to get through the padding sequences before you start reading the barcodes, however.

Comment

Thanks for confirming that, kcchan.

Comment

Hi Austinso,
                  If you use low complexity pooling strategies be aware to have sufficient balance in each index cycle.
                  Choose the indices properly, making sure the combination has 50% A/C and 50% G/T per cycle. Strong bias in variation is easy with only a few different indices. Basecalling can be very much off with biased indices.
                  The latest MCS version has a new algorithm and works much better with biased libraries though.
                  It's a miracle to me they don't implement this algorithm into the next HCS update also. "No that's not planned" was Illumina's reaction when I informt for this.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                    Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                    by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                    04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                  • seqadmin
                    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post seqadmin  
                  Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                  0 responses