No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Protocol for finding variants in GATK

Hi,

I'm looking for a way to use GATK for finding variants. Unfortunately, their documentation is poor and misleading. The commands that they present on their presentation slides are out-of-dated.

Can anyone post a simple working script or protocol for GATK given a raw BAM file?
    Last edited by student-t; 03-26-2015, 04:28 PM.

What documentations are you referring to?
    Although I agree that information is sometimes hard to find on their website, I personally think you'll have a hard time to find something with a better documented workflow than "GATK variant calling" in the world of bioinformatics.
    Have a look at this site which contains highly detailed presentation slides on how to use GATK from Sep 2014. https://www.broadinstitute.org/gatk/...ations?id=4768

Comment

I have read the documentation but still having problems. What I'm doing now is that, I'm simulating variants, mutations etc from a reference genome. I'd expect I'd see something from the GATK tool. I ran through the pipeline but my resulting VCF file contains headers but no data. The problem is that I don't know whether I've screwed up my data or the way I'm using GATK is simply wrong. If there was a known protocol, then I could compare my steps with it.... Can anybody take a quick look at what I've done? It's paired-reads.

Here's my pipeline:

- silico.fa is my reference genome

- Create Index for FASTQ

samtools faidx silico.fa

- Generate a sequence dictionary

java -jar ../../Tools/Picard/picard.jar CreateSequenceDictionary REFERENCE=silico.fa OUTPUT=silico.dict

- Alignment

bwa mem -t 20 -M -R '@RG\tID:group1\tSM:sample1\tPL:illumina\tLB:lib1\tPU:unit1' silico_index reads/simulated_1.fastq reads/simulated_2.fastq > aligned.sam

- Sort SAM to BAM

java -jar ../../Tools/Picard/picard.jar SortSam INPUT=aligned.sam OUTPUT=sorted.bam SORT_ORDER=coordinate

- Mark Duplicates

java -jar ../../Tools/Picard/picard.jar MarkDuplicates INPUT=sorted.bam OUTPUT=marked.bam METRICS_FILE=metrics.txt

- Build BAM Index

java -jar ../../Tools/Picard/picard.jar BuildBamIndex INPUT=marked.bam

- RealignerTargetCreator

java -jar ../../Tools/GATK/GenomeAnalysisTK.jar -T RealignerTargetCreator -R silico.fa -I marked.bam -o realigner.intervals

- IndelRealigner

java -jar ../../Tools/GATK/GenomeAnalysisTK.jar -T IndelRealigner -R silico.fa -I marked.bam -targetIntervals realigner.intervals -o realigned.bam

- Haplotype Analysis

java -jar ../../Tools/GATK/GenomeAnalysisTK.jar -T HaplotypeCaller -R silico.fa -I realigned.bam --genotyping_mode DISCOVERY --heterozygosity 0.01 --defaultBaseQualities 30 -o haplotype.vcf
      Last edited by student-t; 03-27-2015, 11:49 PM.

Comment

The question becomes how the simulated reads were made.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
        • seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
        0 responses