No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CIGAR format in SAMtools

Hi all,

I am using the SAMtools pileup format (created using 'samtools pileup -c') for SNP calling. I need to extract the frequency of each variation from the read base column of the pileup. However, there is one part of this column that I do not understand:

... Also at the read base column, a symbol ‘^’ marks the start of a read segment which is a contiguous subsequence on the read separated by ‘N/S/H’ CIGAR operations. The ASCII of the character following ‘^’ minus 33 gives the mapping quality. A symbol ‘$’ marks the end of a read segment.
    Would someone care to explain this in different words? I find in my pileup many examples of '^~.' (at first glance at loci with a coverage of a few reads) and '$', how do I interpret this?

Also, I have been trying to find an explanation of the CIGAR format. So far, my search has led me to Exonerate and the remark that apparently different versions of CIGAR exist. I was unable to find any other operations than M, D and I, let alone N, S or H. Is there some documentation on the CIGAR format, other than the exonerate man pages?

Thank you,
    Wil

ps thanks for all the hard work on SAMtools and Picard!

Hi Wil,

If you haven't already, I suggest looking at the SAM/BAM format specification, section 1.4.3

Also, the SAMtools paper gives an explanation of the cigar and extended cigar (section 2.1.2)

The standard cigar has three operations:
    M : match or mismatch
    I : insertion
    D: deletion

The extended cigar adds
    N : skipped bases on reference
    S : soft clipping
    H : hard clipping
    P : padding

Hope that helps,
    Justin

Comment

Hi Justin,

This is very helpful, thanks a lot!

Wil

***edit

I understand the CIGAR operations now. But I still do not know how to interpret read base clumns that contain '^~.' or '$' - what is a read segment in this context? (sorry if it is a silly question...)

Some example lines from my unfiltered pileup:
      Code:
      gnl|Nvit1.0|Chr1        1       T       T       30      0       60      1       ^~.     b
      gnl|Nvit1.0|Chr1        51      C       C       147     0       60      40      ......$..................................       bbabaabbbbabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb_bbbbbbbba
      gnl|Nvit1.0|Chr1        104     A       R       82      82      60      12      G$G$G$,,,,,,,^~,^~,     Bbbc`bbb\ab`
      How do I interpret these?
      Last edited by Bruins; 04-29-2010, 01:23 AM.

Comment

Hi Bruins,
        I don't know if anyone answered your question about the ^* and the $ in the pileup file.
        ^* symbolizes that a read begins to align at this position and the character after the ^ is the mapping quality of the read. $ marks the position where a read ends on the alignment.

You can reference this at : http://samtools.sourceforge.net/pileup.shtml
        Hope this helps

Comment

A quick question about the Pileup format - if $ means a position where a read ends on the alignment, than can the example pileup given on the Samtools website ever be true?

At the third positions in the pileup at reference positions 272 and 274 there are $ signs, which in my understanding of this statement means that two reads end within two nucleotides of each other at the same alignment position, which is an impossible scenario.
          Is this just a bad example of the pile up format, or have I misunderstood the explanation of the $ sign?

Comment

Originally posted by Graham Etherington View Post
            ...two reads end within two nucleotides of each other at the same alignment position...
            The above statement does not make sense to me. Could you clarify?

Maybe this example will help:
            Code:
            REF: AAAACA
            R1:  AAAAC
            R2:    AACAA
            Pileup(ish):
            Code:
            REF 1 A ^k. <
            REF 2 A . <
            REF 3 A .^k. <<
            REF 4 A .. <<
            REF 5 C .$. <<
            REF 6 A .$ <

Comment

Got it! Thanks (and sorry for being so thick )

Comment

Hi all,

thanks for your replies (and related question :P)!!

So... '^~.' for a chromosome position where one read aligns means: the read starts with a match (.) and that match has quality represented by ~ (ASCII code of ~ minus 33).
                'G$G$G$' means that at that particular position, three reads end with a mismatch (in all three cases a G).

If I got this correct, I think I know how to interpret lines like the ones in my example. Any comments?

cheers,

Comment

Hey all,

back to the CIGAR string: Would you consider it possible to calculate "Percent Identity" out of the CIGAR string?

My problem is: I use various mappers to align ~807000 454-Sequences against a set of "reference" sequences and need to decide, which of the 454-Sequences are (more or less) contained in my reference sequences. I would like to take only those sequences into account that have minimum of 95% Sequence Identity (number of identical residues (“matches”) in relation to the length of the alignment) in their alignment. For example in SSAHA2 (http://www.sanger.ac.uk/resources/software/ssaha2/) it is possible to set the parameter -identity properly. Other mappers do not provide such an option, so I would filter the SAM-Output via CIGAR string.
                  Do you get my problem? Perhaps it is not necessary and i totally overlooked other possibilities?

Thanks!

Comment

for nearly all existing SAMs: no, not directly. but you can use samtools calmd to generate extra tags given the reference sequence and SAM.

Comment

Dear lh3,
                      thanks for this hint. I'll try to use calmd now!

Update: With an own perlscript it was possible to use information in cigar string and calmd-sam to calculate % Sequence Identity. Thanks a lot for help provided!
                      Last edited by Jenzo; 03-30-2011, 04:20 AM.

Comment

Hi all,

Does anyone know the difference between N and D in CIGAR? I assume for long deletions (let's say 1000 b.p.) you'll get "1000N" and for short ones (let's say 2 b.p.) you'll get "2D" in the CIGAR. But where is the border? At what point will it change from D to N?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Irina Pulyakhina View Post
                          Hi all,

Does anyone know the difference between N and D in CIGAR? I assume for long deletions (let's say 1000 b.p.) you'll get "1000N" and for short ones (let's say 2 b.p.) you'll get "2D" in the CIGAR. But where is the border? At what point will it change from D to N?

Thanks!
                          N is typically used to define an intron when aligning mRNA-originating reads to a genome; D would be for real deletions. Though the usage of N is not strictly defined in the SAM spec.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                          • seqadmin
                            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                          0 responses
                          0 likes
                          Last Post seqadmin  
                          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                          0 responses