Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Effect of outlier sample on CuffDiff analysis?

Unless I'm much mistaken, CuffDiff pools reads from all samples within a condition prior to differential expression analysis. Does anyone understand the method by which CuffDiff prevents an outlier (for instance, one sample overexpressing a gene significantly more than the others) from skewing the results? How reliable have other users found this method to be?

(I did read http://cufflinks.cbcb.umd.edu/howitworks - just having some difficulty understanding it).

I would like to know this also. We 'fixed' the cases with DESeq where one replicate had abnormal read counts vs the other replicates and made the genes highly significative (ex 0,0,0,high vs 0,0,0,0). However I'm wondering if there is something similar for cuffdiff, as the top transcript results still contain these cases

Thanks

Comment

bump, anyone know where else I could ask this? (e-mailed cufflinks, no answer)

Comment

I believe that Cuffdiff uses LocFit Regression in the case were there are no biological replicates to estimate dispersion with inferences made from a Poisson distribution. I do not believe that Cuffdiff takes any special consideration of outlier samples during this step except to use just those genes that are rank invariant and not differentially expressed across all your samples. In the case of biological replicates, I think Cuffdiff estimates the over-dispersion based on a negative binomial model from within each sample group. Again, I don't think Cuffdiff takes any special consideration of outliers during this step either. Personally, I think if your data contains outliers, you would be better off using something like DESeq or EdgeR where you can build a generalized linear model to account for such outliers or exclude them entirely during your sample QC process (R plots). Lastly, if your dataset does not contain biological replicates, I would hold off on doing any analysis until you do; otherwise, your data would have little value due to low statistical power to make inferences.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
        • seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
        0 responses