Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mapping strand-specific RNA-seq reads using TopHat

I am using ScriptSeq Complete Gold Kit to generate pair-end RNAseq data, and wished to map the reads in a strand-specific manner. I referred TopHat FAQ, which suggested to try 'library-type' - 'fr-firststrand' and 'fr-secondstrand' separately, and the one resulting in many more splicing junctions in junctions.bed should be the right library type.

I checked the forum, and people said that the kit should go with 'fr-secondstrand', but I still wished to double-check it. So I ran 'unstranded','firststrand' and 'secondstrand' separately on my read pairs, but found the results are quite unexpectedly similar. Specifically the junctions.bed and acceptedhits.bam file are pretty much of the same size for all of them. As I am using pair end, presumably if I force strand-specific mapping, at least one option above should give really poor alignment. But the alignment was quite similar, as you can see from the attached figure (from 1st to 3rd panels are first-strand, second-strand and non-stranded, respectively).

Can you help see what's wrong here? Thanks!

Code:
    tophat --library-type fr-secondstrand -o $3 -r $4 -p 4 -g 1 -G $GTF $Ref $read_A $read_B
    Attached Files

Hi,
    Unstranded library of RNASeq can have strand bias, If yes then how can it be ruled out?
    do we really look into it in case of fusion identification using tophat fusion?
    Regards
    Bharati

Comment

@caswater:
      Tophat by default aligns to the genome and retains discordant mappings as well. So that would explain why your three alignments are fairly similar. A better way to check the strand specificity and library-type is using RSeqC.

see:
      Bridged amplification & clustering followed by sequencing by synthesis. (Genome Analyzer / HiSeq / MiSeq)

Techniques and protocol discussions on sample preparation, library generation, methods and ideas

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM
      • seqadmin
        The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
        by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
        02-26-2024, 02:07 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 03-14-2024, 06:13 AM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 03-08-2024, 08:03 AM
      0 responses