Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• some questions about running tophat & cufflinks

After reading the manual, I still have some questions about running tophat & cufflinks, as following:

Question 1:
    I am a bit confused with the options "anchor-length " and "segmet-length" when running tophat..

In my opinion, the default setting "--segment-length" 25 means a segment read no less than 25, and "--min-anchor-length " 8 means a cut of 8, which is smaller than 25, so what is the exact length of the final read? Is it 25 or 8? What is the specificity of using "--min-anchor-length "?

To address this question, I propose the following process to test a read length of 75, using the tophat mapped genome,
    First, tophat will map initial reads to genome, the initial reads length is 75
    Second, tophat will split all IUM reads into smaller segments to map again, now the length is at least 25
    Final, still unmapped reads will map junctions in the tophat database of possible splice junctions, a mapped read longer than the "anchor length" will confirm a junction, am I right?

Question 2:
    If the annotation file is download from public database such as ensembel, does the annotation file make a difference in the output result when running tophat? In other words, is there a difference running tophat with or without the annotation file?

Question 3:
    In file “tophat/logs/prep_reads” it reads “6975 out of 28036024 reads have been filtered out”. What is the reason to filter the reads? Is it because the read’s quality is too low or the read can’t mapped genome?

Question 4:
    *.diff files were obtained when cuffdiff is finished, if I set the minimum number of FPKM values, like 0.1, can I also keep the number of false positives/negative low after in *.diff files?

Thank you very much.
    Best regards,
    song

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
  • seqadmin
    Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
    by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
    Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
    03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
0 responses
0 likes
Last Post seqadmin  
Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
0 responses