Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Measuring expression of repetitive elements?

Hello, I would simply like to asses the expression levels of all types of repetitive elements in my RNA-Seq samples.

I assume that these are not being aligned in the first place by TopHat2?

Could someone tell me a way of doing this?

Thanks!

Alex

Several studies have attempted to do this and unfortunately none of them have done it in a manner that actually looks at authentic repetitive element transcripts. The problem arises from the high prevalence of repeats in the primary transcripts of cellular mRNAs (nearly all cellular mRNAs have some kind of repeat in their introns or UTRs). Simply mapping RNAseq data to repeat element consensus sequences ignores this facet of repetitive element biology, so rather than looking at authentic repetitive element expression, all of the papers that have been published on this subject are likely just measuring the presence of repetitive element sequence in the mRNAs of other genes.

Comment

Hi vas72985,

I have tried to get around this problem by only counting uniquely mapping
      reads (with no mismatches) that map to intergenic repetitive elements,
      although this probably is excluding the majority of genuine repetitive element
      expression, so I am not sure how valid it is.

Still I find some expression differences, but am not sure whether these are representative of the element type in question, having thrown out the majority of non-uniquely mapping reads. Presumably, only the expression of individual repetitive elements can be 'validated' by qPCR (by exploiting unique mutations in their sequence)?

Would be interested to know what you think,

Thanks,

Alex

Comment

Hi All,

I will be soon mapping repetitive sequence and I have a couple of questions. It is my understanding that it is error-prone to map repetitive sequences. Is this something that tophat2 can take care of by simply tweaking the parameters? for example, I could set the -N/--read-mismatches to 0. Or is there something more 'fancy' that needs to be done?
        Also, is it worth it to pay more and do paired-end sequencing to be more accurate in mapping to repetitive regions?
        Thanks.

bmcgenomics.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1471-2164-15-583

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
          by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
          04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
        • seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, Today, 08:47 AM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
        0 responses